Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody using Pyrodex P for their 36 caliber 1851 Navies? Looks like around 20 grains should be appropriate with RB's. I can not get real BP anywhere so a substitute is a must. Have been out of shooting these for over 30 years so I'm a little out of touch. I am going to use a C series Colt as a shooter, looking for insights, thoughts, etc that will be helpful. Thank you all. Aloha.

I live in Hawaii and I cannot find real black powder anywhere. I seem to be limited to either Pyrodex P or Hodgdon 777. I've never used either but will be driving 158 miles to get some next week so if that changes the equation/question I apologize for the confusion. I would love to get a couple pounds of actual BP but that just is not an option.

7/8/13 - Thanks to those who have given their input. It is greatly appreciated. Does anyone have an opinion on 777 as opposed to Pyrodex? Advantages or disadvantages to either. I have been out of BP shooting for so long that I am in need of a complete education on these newer powders. Aloha.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like top target may be 18 gr, then 21 gr on left & 23gr on right?

Thank you very much for the info, could you clarify the grain weights with the 3 different targets please.

I gave up on black powder years ago. Use pyrodex exclusively in all my black powder guns (levers, cap and balls, trapdoors). For my 3rd gen 1851 navy I set a black powder VOLUME setting to 17 to 21 grains and use pyrodex P. I have no idea the actual weight. Pyrodex is used on a volume basis, based on black powder. 17 grain setting was my standard for years, then lately wanted a bit more oomph so i went up to 21 grains. With black I got maybe 6 shots until the cylinder locked up from fouling and terrible accuracy. With pyrodex I get 30-36 shots before fouling locks it up. Remember, use a VOLUME setting for pyrodex, not a weight!! Set the measure for 17 grains volume and go from there.
Started using pyrodex in 1994 and so far no corrosion issues if cleaned like you shot black powder. It is imperative that before shooting you clean all oil out of the bore (I run an alcohol soaked mop down the bore). After shooting clean with a water based cleaner, oil it up, and you should be good to go.
It shoots accurately. Photobucket changed since I used it last....lets see if I can post this:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.