Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the range yesterday I got to talking to the folks next to me when one them says he's shooting a 1911 made in 1918. Wow! I had to see that one. His gun looked brand new, the finish was awesome and had no blemishes or wear on it. The gun's owner said that even had a letter fom Colt to back up everything.

One thing I did noticed was that it felt lighter and somewhat smaller than my new 80's series Colt. But it definitely had that magic feel of the 1911.

I guess my interest was obvious because he offered to let me shoot it. Of course I accepted. Although I don't shoot well with those tiny mil spec sights, I did hit my target. Too bad in my excitement I forgot to ask him if I could get a pic of it.

Here I was, shooting with a piece of history and just got a little crazier about the Model of 1911.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I was fortunate enough to shoot a friend's 1911, originally his grandfather's from WWI, built in 1913, 4-digit S/N. I chewed out the center of the target at yards, shooting rapidly and intuitively. My groups opened up quite a bit when I fired slowly and deliberately. I think these guns must be made for rapid, intuitive firing, not carefully controlled fire with those tiny sights.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
Ah, the power of image and imagination. I suspect if one were to shoot a vintage Model of 1911 and a Series 80 with the same stocks on them without being able to see which one you were shooting (you COULD shoot them blind-folded!), you could not tell the difference. I agree I get a different "feel" when shooting one of the old ones. That "feeling" has to come mostly from the mind.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think these guns must be made for rapid, intuitive firing, not carefully controlled fire with those tiny sights.
You're probably right about that, but I glad to have had the moment and the experience last as long as possible.

That "feeling" has to come mostly from the mind.
While that was my initial impression when holding that ol' 1911, as I held and shot it, the gun seemed to feel more right. That and you give me a lot of credit having a mind at at all!

It has amazed me how many people offer to let me shoot their guns. Of course, if someone shows an interest in mine they are always invited to take a shot or two or three...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I just recently picked up a GI-issue 1911 from 1918. Haven't shot it yet. It's going in a Pacific Canvas pistol case with some 1918 GI issue ammo, a GI-pistol rod and an oil can.

I put my 1943 vet bring-back in one with a GI-rod, 1943 steel-cased ammo, GI-magazines and a couple of 1943 steel pennies.

No pics on either. Will post later, when I take some.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
I feel that the pre Series 70 Gov't Models as well as the M1911 & A1 just seemed a bit slimmer in the front strap to backstrap dimension. But as Judge Colt points out it could very well just be an illusion

1 - 6 of 6 Posts