Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to a PPC training this saturday and the weather forecast says its gonna rain. Im not especially thrilled by the thought of getting my Python wet for hours. Im normal to feel this way? Or
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Moisture is not your guns friend, but make sure you keep it as dry as possible when not shooting and after the days end, thoroughly clean and oil.

I fell the same way you do, actually I rather shoot when it's snowing then when it's raining...Sunshine is perfect. :cool:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Down here in Florida, with its high summer humidity, the sweat from your hands is far more damaging than a nice, cool little rain in Norway. Wax with Ren Wax before...shoot, enjoy, wipe down between and clean thoroughly after.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have just tracked down a reseller of ren wax in norway and will not be able get it before saturday. So my Python will be unwaxed. Will the rain get into the mechanism? If yes, how to dry/clean this? Yeah, Im a complete n00b

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
A good quality furniture wax will suffice for now. Wipe it down between sessions and don't cover the gun so that air cannot circulate. I once had to go swimming with a Peacemaker .22 on my hip. It was several hours until I could get it apart and clean it. No harm was done.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have just tracked down a reseller of ren wax in norway will not get it berøre saturday. So my Python will be unwaxed. Will the rain get into the mechanism? If yes, how to dry/clean this? Yeah, Im a complete n00b
Get a good cleaner/lube with a spray nozzle. Take the grips off carefully and spray the inside liberally. Lubes and even silicone sprays get under the moisture and carry it away. You could also use a hair dryer with grips removed then lube it well.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Remove the grips, and put the gun in a 70°C oven for 2 hours. That will drive all the moisture out. Then treat with lube according to Merwin's instructions above.

Buck

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
El Gringo Paton, I have hunted in the rain or snow all day many times. The advice given is good. Dry the gun well and clean and lube it after use. I like to use Eezox for these purposes. If you dry it well (wipe it down, then heat it with a hair dryer), you will get rid of the moisture and prevent rust. The Eezox is a solvent, lubricant and anti-oxidizer.

For hunting in the rain and snow, I like to put a rubber balloon over the muzzle to keep snow and rain out of the bore. If you get a shot, just shoot through the balloon.

·
Registered
325 Posts
One other thing, don't forget the holster. The holster can retain quite a bit of moisture. After you finish your day wipe the holster as dry as you are able and store it without the gun in it. Different holster materials dry at different rates and may have differing procedures. Good luck and hoping for clear weather while shooting.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all advices. I was lucky, no rain at all. So I was able to fire my first shots with my Python (first shot ever with a Colt) in sunshine :) Ahh, life could not be better

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you are really concerned, clean the gun thoroughly and lube with XF7. It will protect from corrosion better than anything else. This is what NSW uses in marine environments and it is great.

I noticed that many may not be familiar with the term NSW. It revers to Naval Special Warfare, not New South Wales. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Guns are tools. It doesn't hurt to get your tool wet. Nothing terrable happens, if you just dry it off and put a little lubricant on it. Shooting doesn't come to a standstill when it rains.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can use Rem oil just for the day, it has teflon in it which will coat the metal. Use WD40, which stands for Water Displacement formula 40. A good way to truly dry out a gun is dissassembly, spray thoroughly with WD40, wipe dry, then a good thick oil. Our missions in Columbia required this daily.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts