Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference between the Shooting Master and the Officers Model Match? They look very much the same to me.

·
Registered
778 Posts
To my knowledge the Officers Model Match was made on the Official Police frame, along with the Target Special, and others, chambered mostly in 38 special.

The Shooting Master was made on the same frame as the New Service. Because the frame is much larger it can handle the 45 Colt, 44 Special, and 38 Special. I have one in 38 Special. The 44, and 45 are much more rare, and expensive.

Hope this helps. I am not as well versed as many on this forum, but we do have several of the old Colt target revolvers, and look for others all time.

These revolvers were made back in the golden days of target shooting competitions. The actions are smooth as silk, and hand fitted. They were not allowed out of the Colt factory until they could shoot groups tight enough to satisfy the testing inspectors.

We shoot mild wadcutter reloads in these guns, and believe they can be used forever with these loads. They are capable of much more accuracy than I can deliver.

Hope this helps. In my opinion the Officers Model Targets are the sleepers of Colt revolver collecting.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have the bible here.do you think wilson would object if I scaned the page or paragraph telling what constitutes a Shooting Master over a New Service?He is in jail I do believe,I just don't want to bunk with him,,he he.By the way I think that the New Service Target is probably a more rare gun then the Shooting Master.It looks the same,but not sure if it has the checkered grip frame or the non checkered ejector button.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Helps a great deal. As I look around I am seeing more, New Service being a much earlier production model (starting in early 1900's) larger frame made in .38-40, .44-40, .45LC, .455 Eley. The Shooting Master appears to have been a specific production of the New Service in .38SP.

Officers Model Match appears to be later production, maybe 1950's, pretty much all .38SP and .22LR.

Of course, I am making an uneducated guess just from what I see.

·
Registered
778 Posts
There are two Shooting Masters on Gunbroker right now. One is a 38 special, Auction #40372822, started at $2,295., and the other is a 45 Colt, Auction #40403442 started at $4,500.

These should pretty well give you an idea of what they are about. My 38 special is from looking at those pics just a little bit better than that one. They are one of the holy grails of Colt revolvers in my opinion..

Good luck in your quest,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts