Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Information, please? I've always admired the New Service Colts. Someday, ... any info on calibers, finish, barrels, years, grips, etc.? (While we're at it, how 'bout a small loan to buy one!?) 2. What's a, "Shooting Master?" Now, one of THOSE ought to keep me on the paper, huh? 3. I've always thought the OP was a nice revolver and used one daily for years as did my dad.
Is there, in real life, an Official Police Mk III, or IV or V or 101 os some such? I'm thinking the coil springs from the Mk III system and lighter barrel, fixed sights are just what I'm looking for. And it would go well with my hodgepodge collection. Is there such a thing? I've seen a thing called the, "Metropolitan," listed, too. Now what's THAT?!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
The New Service was made from 1898 to 1944.
It was available in 11 calibers from .38 Special to .476 Eley. In other words, about every pistol caliber available.

Barrels ran from 2" to 7 1/2", finishes were bright blue, bright nickel, and on the military 1917 versions, dull blue.

Early grips were "gutta percha" hard rubber, with molded in checkering and Colt logos. In 1928, checkered walnut with the silver Colt medallion was used. On military models, smooth wood with no medallions.

There were about 356,000 made and there were many, many variations.

The Shooting Master is a target version of the New Service. It had a rounded butt, flat top frame, and target sights. Caliber was .357 Magnum, with a 6" barrel.

The Mark III "J" series was composed of the Trooper Mark III, the Lawman, the Metropolitan Police, the Official Police Mark III, and a VERY few Officer's Model Match Mark III's. Later guns were Mark "V" models, available as the Trooper Mark V, and the Lawman "V".

The Lawman, Metro Police, and Official Police were all variations on the "J" frame with fixed sights and service type hammer and trigger.

The Lawman was available in .357 Mag with a 4" heavy barrel, and a 2" barrel with rounded grips. The early 2" had an un-shrouded barrel, but around 1972 this was changed to a shrouded Detective Special look-alike barrel.

The Metropolitan Police was nothing other than a Lawman chambered for .38 Special only.

The Official Police Mark III was .38 Special with the "skinny" barrel of the older Official Police. These were available in 4" 5" and 6" barrels.

Of the fixed sight "J" frame guns, the Metro Police and the Official Police are rarer and harder to find, since by this time few police agencies were buying revolvers with fixed sights and chambered in .38 Special.

However, these guns usually go for low prices due to the plain, no frills appearance.

You have to hunt for a Metro or Official Police Mark III gun, and I suspect that the low prices may not hold, due to the low production numbers, and collector interest picking up.

I'd suggest watching the gun auction sites, or GunsAmerica. These do turn up from time to time, and prices are usually still low.

·
Registered
97 Posts
dfariswheel has given you a pretty complete answer, but let me expand a bit on the Shooting Master, a personal favorite.

The Shooting Master is one of two distinct target versions of the New Service, the other being the New Service Target.

It was made between 1931 & 1940. Chamberings available were 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 44 Special, 45 ACP and 45 Colt. Production is said to have run to about 3500 units.

Pictures and further data are available at the Colt Pre War Target Revolver Yahoo Group's website.

Bob

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I too would offer a slight correction of the Shooting Master information given in that the Shootimg Master was available in more chamberings than .357 Magnum.

Standard chamberings for the SM were .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Special, .45ACP and .45 Colt.

The New Service Target and Shooting Master are quite rare, but are among the finest target revolvers ever made.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Dear Dr. Wheel ... I thank you. My mother thanks you. My father thanks you and my children and grandchildren thank you. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
The New Service was made from 1898 to 1944.
It was available in 11 calibers from .38 Special to .476 Eley. In other words, about every pistol caliber available.

Barrels ran from 2" to 7 1/2", finishes were bright blue, bright nickel, and on the military 1917 versions, dull blue.

Early grips were "gutta percha" hard rubber, with molded in checkering and Colt logos. In 1928, checkered walnut with the silver Colt medallion was used. On military models, smooth wood with no medallions.

There were about 356,000 made and there were many, many variations.

The Shooting Master is a target version of the New Service. It had a rounded butt, flat top frame, and target sights. Caliber was .357 Magnum, with a 6" barrel.

The Mark III "J" series was composed of the Trooper Mark III, the Lawman, the Metropolitan Police, the Official Police Mark III, and a VERY few Officer's Model Match Mark III's. Later guns were Mark "V" models, available as the Trooper Mark V, and the Lawman "V".

The Lawman, Metro Police, and Official Police were all variations on the "J" frame with fixed sights and service type hammer and trigger.

The Lawman was available in .357 Mag with a 4" heavy barrel, and a 2" barrel with rounded grips. The early 2" had an un-shrouded barrel, but around 1972 this was changed to a shrouded Detective Special look-alike barrel.

The Metropolitan Police was nothing other than a Lawman chambered for .38 Special only.

The Official Police Mark III was .38 Special with the "skinny" barrel of the older Official Police. These were available in 4" 5" and 6" barrels.

Of the fixed sight "J" frame guns, the Metro Police and the Official Police are rarer and harder to find, since by this time few police agencies were buying revolvers with fixed sights and chambered in .38 Special.

However, these guns usually go for low prices due to the plain, no frills appearance.

You have to hunt for a Metro or Official Police Mark III gun, and I suspect that the low prices may not hold, due to the low production numbers, and collector interest picking up.

I'd suggest watching the gun auction sites, or GunsAmerica. These do turn up from time to time, and prices are usually still low.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks, bfoster! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bfoster:
dfariswheel has given you a pretty complete answer, but let me expand a bit on the Shooting Master, a personal favorite.

The Shooting Master is one of two distinct target versions of the New Service, the other being the New Service Target.

It was made between 1931 & 1940. Chamberings available were 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 44 Special, 45 ACP and 45 Colt. Production is said to have run to about 3500 units.

Pictures and further data are available at the Colt Pre War Target Revolver Yahoo Group's website.

Bob
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts