Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are Shooting Master stocks specific for the Shooting Master? What's going price?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Addicted; The answer to your question on the S.M. stocks is a "qualified" NO! What they are unique to,are the slightly rounded butt grip frame that was STANDARD on the S.M.-AND- the "38 Special/.357 Magnum N.S.fixed sighted model that came out around 1932,running to the end of assembly ca. 1943.

They are always wood(unless you get custom stocks)checkered with the "sliver" Colt medallion. While square butt wooden stocks,from about 1928-end,can be sanded down to fit the S.M. frame,they won't look right,especially on the butt area.

A few S.M.s and "some" of the .38/.357 models came with special order square butt wood stocks,as was standard on the larger caliber guns,and New Service Target right from the start of N.S. production.

I sold a very nice(BUT NOT MINT!)pair to someone on the Colt Target Revolver Forum,who sought S.M. stocks, for $100,plus mailing.His S.M. was not mint either,and like me,he enjoys shooting it.

I know I could have got more money,but hadn't planned on selling them,let alone the eBay route!!!,but the stocks came on a rebuilt N.S."mongrel" I bought for a low price,and since he is a retired teacher(I am still active,with 39 years at same school),I knew his income was not in the "deep pockets" category.

So,you could get lucky.for around $100,or search on eBay etc. Colt D.A. stocks haven't reached the obscene prices that S&Ws have,especially N frames on eBay,and I hope it hasn't led to "grip harvesting" from matching# guns,as has happened with some S&Ws(Canadian friends,you are "free" to do this,as with your governments Draconian gun laws,the only way you can often realize the value of a handgun,is to "break it down for parts",as is done by some canadians on eBay).

Hope this helps. P.S. If you frequent Gun Shows,bring a traced outline of the grip frame om a 3 by 5 index card,to check any "finds",from those sadly disappearing boxes of old grips that used to be common under some dealer's tables.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Lonewolf summed it up well, and transferring the profile to an index card to take with you on your search is very good advice, unless you have a very well calibrated eyeball. Be prepared for a long search, as they are very hard to find. Even the standard NS checked wood grips(stocks to the purists among us)are becoming tough to locate in any usable condition. I hit a bunch of gun shows, across several states, and it was a couple of years before I turned up a pair to fit a Shooting Master. I still carry my SM index card outline in my gun show bag and keep an eye out for others. In five years, I have seen the one set I purchased for $60.00, and one other set that was well beyond any restoration attempt. The $60.00 set was 100% perfect, and could easily have passed for new, but that was three years ago and deep in the heart of Kentucky. The standard NS checked wood grips I see asking priced anywhere from $30.00, to $100.00, depending on condition, but I haven't actually had to pay more than $50-$75.00 for the last few pairs I've found, and I don't buy them unless they are excellent condition.
You may find them quicker on flea-bay, or one of the gun auction sites, but you will probably pay more and miss all the fun of scrounging the gun shows. You might try posting a WTB ad in the classifieds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts