Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many forum members shoot their original Colt (or Remington, Whitney, etc.) percussion revolvers?

I've had a 2nd gen Colt percussion revolver well as a few Italian copies of the Colt and Remington percussion revolvers. All were good guns but I've been seriously looking at getting an original percussion with the plan to shoot it. I've looked around a bit, but still not sure what the best sources are for good quality shooter grade originals.

Any thoughts or experiences with using the originals that anyone would care to share? Any go to sources for good quality shooters?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have shot all of my original Colts including my Patterson. However because they are generally in better condition and more accurate I mostly use my 2nd. and 3rd. Generation Colts.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have a 1860 Army "copy" I have shot, I don't see how it would be any diff. then shooting an original. I do have a 1851 navy and a 1860 army original that I feel would be safe to shoot, but I don't want to take a chance on damaging ether one, just not worth it to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have put about 100 rounds through an original 1860. I just picked up some Schutzen black powder (fffg) but I have tried the gun with Pyrodex Select (ffg grade ) and Pyrodex 30 grain pistol pellets with .457 round ball. The pellets are a pretty powerful load that I would compare with .38 spcl +p loads I worked up for a friend of mine a few years ago. The gun handles them OK but I plan to use real BP for fun shooting and just use the Pyrodex pellets for wilderness carry. I live in Canada so I am quite limited in what I can legally carry for a sidearm.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've shot my 1860 Army many times. I did have a few issues with nipples getting stuck, but a couple days in an oil bath and I was able to get them off with a little elbow grease. I have an 1861 Navy I haven't shot it, still debating on whether I want to or not, but probably will end up taking it out at some point.

I only use real black powder though. I've heard good things about the substitutes, but something in me just feels like you should use what they used!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have shot my 1851 Navy without any problems. I use 14 gr 3F black powder which is probably 45-50 years old, but still
fires.
Would be great to know it's actual history.
Fun to shoot.
Tom/Idaho

·
Registered
132 Posts
I shoot my original 1861 .36 cal navy ($1500) along side my uberti ($300) of the same model. Guns are poor investments. An original 140 year old colt with patina is between $1,200 to $2,000. Lets do the math. Gun was purchased for $14 back in the 1860's. A new colt 1873 peacemaker was $17. 140 years later it is worth lets say $2,000. The gun went up in value $14 a year($2,000/140yrs.) shoot it and enjoy the hell out of it.

If you want an investment, buy apple or tesla stock. I bought 300 shares of tesla last summer at $167 a share. At its peak(before virus) it was over $900 a share. Even now it's over $530 a share. Do the math. Guns are for fun, stocks and real estate are investments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts