Colt Forum banner

Shooting the .45 colt new service

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  smkummer 
#1 ·
How is this revolver in .45 Colt as an everyday shooter? one made in the 30s, good bore.

#3 ·
I really like to shoot all of my NS's. I shoot most of them single action though. The 45 is a great round to shoot in them. I even have a set of chamber inserts to shoot .22 out of a 45. Not terribly accurate, but fun to plink with. I shoot much more .44 special. The NS's I shoot the most are my .38's. They are like shooting a .22 recoil wise, being such a heavy gun. I can only shoot at a range, where I live, but if you are in an area where you can carry on in a holster, out hunting, in the woods, working on a ranch, as long as it's not a NIB collector grade gun, then go for it.

#4 ·
Have small hands and have added the pachmayr grip adapter to my new service revolvers, even the smaller round butt 38 models. I mostly shoot single action as well with these big guns. I have a 1920 made New Service 7 1/2” in 45 colt. It has the very fine sights. This works great for 100 yard and yes, 200 yard shooting. Your 1930 New Service should have wider sights for a better modern sight picture. I cast my own bullets and my new service performs wonderfully with .454 diameter bullets. When you eject the cases, if you hold the muzzle towards the sky, most of the empties will eject. If the muzzle is down, some of the empties my slide past the ejector star. The small original 45 colt rim was intended for single action use but mostly will work for double action too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.