Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a couple of recent threads on the Colt .22 Conversion Unit and the Colt Service Model Ace pistol. Forum member sublimert70 recently acquired a very nice early 50's Colt .22 Conversion Unit and we discussed doing a "virtual" competition to see just how accurate these things are. I've had (2) Colt .22 Conversion Units for several years and although I shoot them infrequently, I was never really impressed with their accuracy. The fun factor of the floating chamber is high, but cleaning the floating chamber can be tedious if you use the "wrong" type of .22LR ammunition. These were never produced to dominate bullseye competitions, but are enjoyable plinkers with the proper ammunition.

I took my late 70's Colt .22 Conversion Unit mounted to my Series 70 (1975) Colt Government Model .45 lower to the range this morning and fired 125 rounds of 40 grain Remington Golden Bullets (1255FPS) at both 20 yards and 15 yards using a bench rest. These targets are the best of the 75 rounds fired at 20 yards although all were similar and the 50 rounds fired at 15 yards. I used GSG magazines only. GSG magazines work perfectly in both of mine and hold the slide open on an empty magazine. I included the OEM Colt magazines in the pic's but I didn't use them.

Please add pic's of your pistol and target to the thread.

Here's my set up:

Property Wood Gas Stool Kitchen

Bench rested at 15 yards:

Photograph Black Font Style Material property

Bench rested at 20 yards:

Camera lens Gadget Digital camera Cameras & optics Font

A couple of beauty shots:

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Everyday carry

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
Nice shooting Robert................This is the motivation I need to get mine out and shoot it for the first time. I have been a major slacker. I am putting it on my list of items to get done!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
So, finally had a dry day with minimal wind to shoot a 22 LR here in mid-Michigan. I installed my Colt Conversion unit on my 2018 GCNM frame and shot 50 rounds of CCI HP 36 gr at 1260 fps. I had to sight the unit which worked as well as one would like. Here’s two targets at 25 yards;

Wood Grass Public space Table Groundcover

Circle Precision sports Recreation Font Sports

Circle Font Recreation Pattern Precision sports

I have floaters in my eyes due to torn retinas and the floaters were playing havoc with my sighting. So, I’m not sure I short the Conversion Unit to it’s full potential. Nevertheless, it was a BLAST to shoot!

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took my other Colt .22 Conversion Unit to the range this morning. This one shot surprising well, better than I remember. I used the same bench rest as I posted in Post#1 and I also used GSG magazines again although they are not shown in the pic's. This Colt .22 Conversion Unit dates to 1947 and it's mounted to my 1964 Colt Government Model .45ACP lower. I used the same Remington Golden Bullets (1255FPS) ammunition.

Bench rested at 15 Yards:

Camera lens Camera accessory Gadget Camera Font

Bench rested at 20 Yards:

Product Camera lens Font Gadget Digital camera

A couple of beauty shots:

Air gun Revolver Wood Trigger Gun barrel

Wood Everyday carry Gun accessory Gun barrel Revolver

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
I thought mine did a little bit better than that. I may be able to to post pics but it will be awhile. Anyway, those groups are good enough for 30ft. plinking on empty soup cans. Yesterday I was shooting both my pre war officers model and my post war officers model match ( both 22) at soup cans about 7-8 paces away. Easy hits

1 - 7 of 7 Posts