Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Awhile back I bought a 2nd gen NRA Centennial .357 with thoughts of making it my shooter-grade SAA. I found one that was minty, but without the box, for a great price on Gunbroker. I had plans to tune it, polish off the silly NRA banner on the barrel and fit some new stocks. I changed my mind after receiving the Colt. It indexed perfectly and had a clean, creep-free trigger that broke at 3 lbs. Bluing and fit were nice. Screw heads were flawless and untouched. Stocks were well-fitted and attractive, with dark streaks and a pretty reddish-brown color. I liked it.

After shooting it on several range outings, I'm leaving it alone. A 6 o'clock hold at 25 yards puts Rem and Fed .38 factory wadcutters centered into one hole. Awesome, since I have a ton of .38 factory stuff. At 50 yards it drills a 50 yd bull using a center hold point of aim. Here's a 10-shot group from a sandbag at 50 yards. Load is the Buffalo Bore heavy .357 158 grain factory hollowpoint, which screams out the 7.5" barrel at better than 1500 fps. More precise sights like BoMars would have easily resulted in a tighter group. Pigs better start worrying now.
Bob

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
Good for you. I have thought about these as well as a base for a project gun, but since they have their own special serial numbers, it’s best to leave them alone. How do you feel it handled the recoil of that stout load?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good for you. I have thought about these as well as a base for a project gun, but since they have their own special serial numbers, it’s best to leave them alone. How do you feel it handled the recoil of that stout load?
I was pleasantly surprised by the recoil with that load. It's like shooting a hot .357 load in an N-frame S&W. It's there, but not an issue.
Bob

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Very nice Colt and good shooting. I have one but in 45 Colt DSCN0660.JPG The banner on the left side of the barrel doesn't bother me at all. If you can pick one up in 45 colt you will like the balance and weight.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Oh yeah, 357mag SAAs sure can shoot, and can do it accurately to POA. Just one reason I grabbed a magnum.

Hot magnum loads are relatively pleasant to shoot out of a SAA.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mine is not near as nice as yours....but it too is a great shooter. I bought mine right and intended to convert it 44 spec. It shoots so danged good as a .357 I haven't done anything with it yet. Maybe I never will.

Dan

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine is not near as nice as yours....but it too is a great shooter. I bought mine right and intended to convert it 44 spec. It shoots so danged good as a .357 I haven't done anything with it yet. Maybe I never will.

Dan
Exactly...I'll just buy ANOTHER SAA.
Bob

·
Registered
961 Posts
Any pistol that shoots group like that at 50 yards is a keeper. The fact that it is a long barrel single action 357 that shoots to point of aim makes it a gem. And it is pretty to boot. Congrats on a fine acquisition!

·
Registered
457 Posts
You guys are steadily moving me in the direction of shooting more and more of my previously "off limits" collection!

I have a first gen and early second gen 357 calling my name now. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used to own one. Mine came in a wooden and glass case, and was a 45 Colt. Couldn't hit a tree in the middle of a forest with it. Seems like it was way low and left.
I tried several loads and then traded it to a friend who felt he could fix it. Took a replacement cylinder from another Colt, and of course was properly fitted.
I liked the looks, but it seemed poorly assembled and fit compared to other Colt's I have owned.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used to own one. Mine came in a wooden and glass case, and was a 45 Colt. Couldn't hit a tree in the middle of a forest with it. Seems like it was way low and left.
I tried several loads and then traded it to a friend who felt he could fix it. Took a replacement cylinder from another Colt, and of course was properly fitted.
I liked the looks, but it seemed poorly assembled and fit compared to other Colt's I have owned.
I'm just lucky, I guess. Always liked the .38s and .357s in a Colt SAA.
Bob

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
You guys are steadily moving me in the direction of shooting more and more of my previously "off limits" collection! ...
Thanks a lot!

Beautiful gun and great shooting! Ya. got me moving as well and if the creek don't rise I'll get a 32 and a 38 out to shoot later today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts