Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read alot about shooting on here ,mostly pythons,but no one ever says how good or bad they do,so here goes,i have a detective special and i shoot clay targets at 50 yards,a colt 22 target i shoot clay targets at 150 yards,and a scout that i shoot honeybees at about 10 feet away,been at it for about 40 years,for those that dont believe it can be done, come to my part of the woods and ill prove it anytime ,i also shoot 9mm empty shell cases at50 yards with a scope and rifle,so lets hear, from other target shooters

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ok,
So what you are saying is that you can keep your shots in 4.25 inchs with your DS at 50 yds. not bad,
is that off hand standing with one hand like target shooters do at Camp Perry ?. 4.25 inches at 150 yds with a 22 is really good, do you know how much a 22 drops at 150 yds ?. I don't know how big or how small a honeybee is so wont
comment on that.

Have you ever shot in matches at a real reg. target ?, if your shooting that good with those guns, with a
good target gun you would be setting world records. In fact you may be good to go for the Gold in Olympic
International Shooting events, go for it.
S/S

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I can shoot well enough on occasion to win a bullseye match at the local level. I like high-power rifle competition best of all.

I could shoot at clay targets with my .22 handguns at 150 yards but wouldn't hit them consistently. Just a luck shot on occasion.

I couldn't hit the clay target consistently with my best high-power rifle at 150 yards.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ira no the detective was not one handed,but sitting at a bench i believe weaver style as it is called,im just a country boy who grew up shooting guns at an early age,i wouldn't even know how to get into shooting matches.but i always shot small things,i figure if i could hit small objectd i could hit anything assuming the gun shoots straight,as some don't,the only target gun is the colt22 out of the box,im sure there are others that can shoot as well out there,the 22 rifle at 150?sure i know how much to hold over and adjust accordingly,im back in the hills so to speak and just about anywhere is ok to shoot 7 days a week,but no local gun clubs ,the only public range is about 60 miles away,but i shoot all the time ever since i could hold a gun.dont get me wrong i had another detective special and it was not near as accurate as the one ihave now,which i think is exceptional even two handed and at 47 years old.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how big or how small a honeybee is so wont
comment on that.

[/ QUOTE ] a honey bee {counting it`s wingspan} would be roughly the size of a nickel, never shot them but used to shoot woodbee`s with my pellet gun when i was a kid. it was pretty good fun for cheap /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifthey are the bee`s that resemble bumble bee`s and bore holes in exposed wood, any shot in their wingspan circle will bring them down, a center hit will splatter them good.i also used to throw up big acorns and shoot them, my grandfather showed me the trick. where are you from lorraine?? kentucky??

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im from wva,that is also great shooting icdux,if it aint fun it aint worth doing,im from a small town called gilbert,wva,these ol boys around here (some of them) can flat out shoot,with a 223 we usually shoot 6 inch clays at 200 yards,pretty easy shot ,then we go to smaller things lik a pop can and belive it or not down to a quarter which is a verry tough shot,the public range only goes out to 200 yards,the scope is usually a 6x24 bsa or other,i appreciate all the input its good to know others grew up doing waht they liked most,now its hard in some areas to find a place to shoot.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Speaking of shooting: I recall a late afternoon outing with a Python several years ago. We were shooting down an incline at some targets. Not too long after we started the light got just right and we could SEE the bullets leaving the gun and traveling to the target. It basically looked like a quick streak but if you tried real hard you could see the bullet travelling on its route (which, since it was a Python, was exactly where it was aimed /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif).

Some of the rest of you may have experienced this, but for me this was the only such instance.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I saw some 9mm bullets the other aftenoon as I was shooting a Hi-Power fairly late in the day. I was facing south as I shot my target. The sun was low in the northwest horizon. This seems to be the optimum angle for the light to catch the bullet's base and help the shooter to see it. I never thought about it before but I have occasionally noticed that I could see handgun bullets while shooting on this range on several other occasions. I'm wondering if each time I've seen my bullets was in the summer when the light conditions were just right. In the wintertime the light won't be the same as the sun has moved towards the south when it sets and it doesn't shine on the bullet's base.

I've seen .30-06 bullets on a couple of occasions while shooting hight-power matches when the sun was both low and angled. As they are traveling faster they must be more difficult to see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts