Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit to being a S&W guy but I have always admired the Python. I'm looking around and all I find locally are a couple of current stainless guns and one from the 80's I think, which is in the high polish stainless finish.
Are these later guns worth the dough? I'm in San Diego and out here it is very hard to find a Python in blue, seems like the only ones I see are stainless. Prices run about $1000.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Generally speaking, Pythons produced in the 1950's and 1960's seem to be a little better than the 1970', 80's and 90's. Check each specimen carefully for proper timing, locking up solidly when the trigger is held all the way back and for general fit, finish, and machining. Is a Python really worth $1000, well, that is up to the individual purchaser. Can a Python do anything that a well tuned S&W can't, probably not. But, the Python has a mystique and a look that cannot be beaten. I know I usually draw attention when I show up at the range with a Python.

[This message has been edited by stans (edited 12-21-2003).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Jack part of the reason you are only seeing the newer current model in stainless has more to do with the absurd California "Approved List" law than the availability of the blued Pythons on the used market.

As you know a dealer cannot sell you an older (blued) Python from his stock. The reason being it is not on the so called Approved List. The newer Python Elite in stainless 6" IS on the Approved List. The only way you will be able to get the older blued Python is to either buy one that is on consignment at a dealers shop or via a private party transfer.

Forgive me but I am assuming that you don't hit many of the gun shows. I say this because there are several decent shows in your city where blued Pythons can be purchased via PPT. The current ASKING price for a LN or LNIB Blued Python out west is in the area of 800 to 1100. Probably a bit steeper then the rest of the country. But remember, in California it is more difficult to purchase one of these so the price goes up based on the supply & demand economics.

Just keep searching all your local gun shops stopping in weekly looking for the consignment guns, hit all the gun shows, & you will locate one easy enough. You just have to make a strong effort & be ready to purchase when the right one comes along.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Are Python's worth the money? To most S&W and Ruger fans you will hear a very loud NO, along with the usual comment of you can get 2 of so and so's guns for the same price and they are just as good or better. Now show up at any range and pull out a Python and watch all the so and so owners start looking. You decide on what's the worth to you.

a little side note:
over the years Python barrels have been retrofitted to Rugers and Smiths, but Colt's have only had Colt parts and not been cross breeded. Just a little something to think about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input for a Python novice. I'll be patient and keep looking for a blue model as it's my idea of the classic Python that I used to drool over as a kid.
My only Colt DA is an Officers Model Target 38spl. It is such a nice piece that it piqued my interest in getting another Colt or two to compliment my S&W selection.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My two cents on Pythons: the price you are quoting ($1000!) seems amazingly high to me. Around here (Michigan)you could but it for about $600, maybe a little more.

I have a 4" Python, and it is a nice weapon, but no better than your OMT. My best revolver is an OMT from 1921. Believe me, the Python has nothing on it, except the ability to fire .357 ammo. (And who wants to?).

Best, and good luck in your search.

Bill A

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know I've seen them for considerably less around here lately. As far as being worth it, all I can say is 25 years ago they were a lot cheaper then, and for me, love at first site.

- Pat

·
Registered
18 Posts
Let me chime in as another californian (unfortunately and temporarily I hope) WS23 is correct about the blued pythons not being on the drop test and why they are so hard to find in CA now days. I have seen a couple at recent gun shows the last one in Vallejo had one for $900 that had spots of rust and the owner had done his own gunsmithing on oh and hogue aftermarket grips no originals included. There were a couple of ANIB in the $1300 range that a dealer brought but they were in his inventory so he couldn't sell them in state anyways. I can certainly feel your pain as I would dearly like to add a Python to my collection, there is a bright nickel one at my range that I keep thinking about but I would really prefer the Blued.

As for the prices in the rest of the country, I know from postings and auction sites that they are several hundred dollars cheaper than in CA and it causes no end of pain to see it but unfortunately that is the reality of CA. Seems just about any Colt gets a 25% boost in this state and if its not on the drop test or it has some mystique it can go through the roof - FAST

Simon

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts