Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've begun the hunt for my first Python and am interested in how you all discern a 95% gun from a 97%? 98%? 99?
I'm looking for a shooter and don't want to pay NIB price, but I want it to be pretty close to NIB quality. Don't care much for the box and papers either, though I might go an extra $100 or so if the gun is right. So...in your opinion, how do YOU recognize the difference between 95% and 97%?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you are talking about a blued gun then the muzzle, the sharp edges of the cylinder, and possibly the triggerguard would have a little wear most likely from a holster for a 95% gun. The stocks could show minor wear or light scratches.
A nickeled model would have very minor cracks or possibly small dull spots.
A 98% gun should show nothing but a light cylinder line.
If you check resources you will see that there really is no 97% or 99% condition.

It's going to be tough to look for a close to NIB revolver and not pay the price even though you plan for it to be a shooter. Just be prepared to pay the going rate as you won't see many discounts on a Python. Especially in the condition you are seeking.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 02-14-2005).]

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You have a couple great gun shows in Louisville. Keep an eye out as they are big shows. Have not been to one of them in a few years, but they used to be one of the better shows in the country. You should be able to find your Python there. Just do your research prior to going so that you can recoginze a good buy when you see one.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I just checked the gun show list. You have a great show ("National Gun Day") at the Expo Center in Louisville on Feb 26 and Feb 27. It is listed as a 1650 table show. It is the perfect show to search for your python.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts