Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
short barrel OMT\'s

Hi,

Some of you may have seen the 5" OMT recently advertised here. I bought it. . .instantly.

Anybody have any notion how many of these were made? Or how many 4 and 4.5"? The 6" heavy barrels are sometimes described as "scarce" by dealers (and even by Wilson) but I see lots of 'em. Ditto the 7.5's. But I almost never see the short barrels for sale.

What say you?

Bill

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: short barrel OMT\'s

I've been trying to get a bead on these too (if I hadn't recently snarfed a 5" I'd have given you a run on your beauty!). They are only mentioned in passing in Wilson. If you could equate how many are actually seen on dealer tables/offered for sale on the net I'd guess they are somewhere between the OMT 32 (850 odd) and the OMS 38 (6100 odd). I could be totally wrong on this.

I've seen exactly 2 of the 4.5" and 1 of the 4" variety and all three were fairly beaten, looked they were relegated to "under the truck seat duty". There's one at Auction Arms right now of the 4" variety in under-the-seat condition.

The accuracy of mine off the bench with 158 SWC was excellent at 50 ft, one ragged hole.

Scott

[This message has been edited by SEBCo (edited 03-26-2004).]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Scott--

I see far more .32's for sale than 5"'s; in fact, I don't recall EVER having seen another one. Of course I want to think they're as rare as hell, now that I've got one. What's the serial number range of yours? Mine's 646xxx, (1940). Wilson just says "quite scarce," as you know.

Best,
Bill

p.s. that 4" on AA is a cut-down six. Ugly!

[This message has been edited by Bill A (edited 03-26-2004).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

I have a 4 1/2" #585xxx(1933). These are very rare,and dont seem to be in as much demand(price?)as rarer configurations in some other models. Mine is probably 95%,with deep medallion stocks. When you stop & think of it,they wouldntve been too popular with the target shooters due to shorter sight radius. Only the 4" wouldve qualified for the old pocket revolver category,and then it mayve been too heavy for rule changes. Holster gun? Those adjustable front sights wouldnt hold unless they were soldered down tight,and I saw one,"a real beater",that had this done to it I have a real early 7.5" also and a reblued FIRST issue,with side plate on the left & old style action. While a little on the light side,the oldster has a perfect bore and is superb shooter with mild wadcutters,all they I consider prudent to use. Anyone have any "Shooting Masters" that they shoot? Bud

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Have been looking for a Shooting Master. . . I DO have a Camp Perry that I shoot.

Bill

·
Registered
111 Posts

Bill,

My 5" is S/N 606XXX so about 1937 and had those "incorrect" Roper stocks on it, I've requested a Colt letter. You could well be right about the relative rarity of the "shorts". There is a Colt ad at Ira Paine's Yahoo site about the 5" for "pocket matches" from 1937. I don't have much information about what those were and would be interested in what others might have to share on the subject.

I spoke to Bob Simpson at the CADA show earlier this month. He didn't have much to offer other than the short barrel OMT's would only be interesting to fairly sophisticated Colt collectors, not sure that I qualify. I just think they're neat.

You're right about the cut-down, not even a Mother could appreciate it.

Scott

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

And here's something interesting:

"In 1921, Dr. Carl Wahrer of Sacramento, using a 4 1/2 inch barrel, established a World's Record of 227x250. . . "

This is from Serven's Colt Firearms, p. 259, the section on the OM. The author goes on to state that 4.5 inchers were available from 1920 on and that the 4 and 5's were produced from 1932.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts