Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man I have been trying to buy a 1911, looked at several models but just about every time I make up my mind to buy ... Sold out , what is up !! Why the shortage? Ammo is the same, one day it's there next day sold out . Am I missing something !

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
The closer it gets to November the worse it will get.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Remember the last time we had an election? I anticipate it will be much worse as November gets closer.With the prospect of the present White House Occupant getting a second term and going nuts on trying to kill our Second Ammendment Rights you will see Pistol Safety Class attendance increasing,application for pistol licenses increasing,more people stocking up and hoarding ammunition,and more people buying the guns they want now while they still can.I teach a NRA Pistol Safety Class every month @ our local range.The first question I throw out to everyone is "Why are you here now to take this class ?".About 7 out of 10 people say "I am exercising my Second Ammendment Rights now while I still Can."Sorry for injecting "Politics" into this response,but it is a essential component in order to honestly answer this question.JMHO......Mike

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
In addition to what is said above, spring and summer months see more shooters afield than in winter months.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That and we are having a 1911 renaissance this last decade. You can buy semi affordable basic to fully modified 1911’s just about everywhere. Companies can’t keep up with the demand for them. And IMHO they just keep getting better.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Remember to inventory your primers and powder. Keep a ready emergency supply of small ammo and inventory it. Don't forget 22lr. especially.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
A funny situation, the last election. One of the few areas of the economy, guns, ammo, and related items showed growth. Fueled by fear of more stringent gun control boosted sales. Unfortunately if reelected I don't think we'll fair well in the gun control arena.

1911s are out there, both new and used; I just recently bought a nice first generation blued Delta Elite; before that (locally here in Michigan) a Government MkIV Series 70 with a .22 conversion unit. That made the 4th Colt 1911 I've found locally, in the local area.

I like the quality of the older Colt 1911s and if I find one I will buy it if it is priced right.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Many reasons as mentioned above are fact on!

I know here in NH, a couple of larger GS's are creating or have already done so since last Christmas that you need to buy it now or go without. Same crap that happened back in 08'/09'! I still hear it today. They are scaring their cutomers into buying now and even if you don't buy into their BS the person behind you does and your box of ammo or firearm just sold. It is crazy!

So, my advice. The next time you see your 1911, I wouldn't go home to think about it, just fall in line with the rest of the sheep and Buy It.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with all who have replied, but it sure looks like many of the manufactures are playing the same game that the oil company's play , my local gun shop got one shipment of firearms from the manufacture and was told that's it for the year! Yes there are 1911 out there but only the high end ones, not really looking to spend big bucks , just looking for shooter that I can customize myself. What I have stated is that I live in California and dealing with a approval list is crazy!

·
Registered
478 Posts
In further support of all the above....take a look at the first couple of pages of the Revolver section....and note the number of brand new members with their first Colt. Sure seems to be a lot more recently....coincidence?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was in a new Cabelas this weekend. Their gun/ammo section was hammered. Looked like about 20 people waiting to get clearance from BATF. The pistol/revolver counter was lined up with people. I wanted to look at what they had but couldn't get near the counter. Bought a reloading press, some dies and gave up. Evidently concealed weapons permits are in high demand also. I was in another sporting goods store and they were hosting a class for the Utah non-resident permit which is good in 32 states. This is in WA. I'm afraid that we are heading for another ban like we saw awhile back. Not sure what it will be this time, probably autos and mags again. If you are looking for a 1911 now would be a very good time to buy one IMHO. I purchased one last week to avoid the rush. Jim

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
My LGS has a few 1911 platform .45's but no Colts. The store is small, but he has plenty of "used" and a few new pieces in his dispaly case. I am lucky that the owner is a good friend of mine, so when I need ammo he will make a special order for me. He just got .45, .44 special,.38/357,.9mm, and .22 for me in bulk . He also got me .12 gauge, and .20 gauge and a variety of rifle ammo in bulk as well. Because he is so small, and off the beaten path his business is mostly just word of mouth among people who know him.
If you want a Colt 1911 there are some for sale on this forum, and on other forums as well. I was able to pick up a very nice "Officer's" model from a great member here, for a very fair price. The gun has a lot of "Bells and whistles" already installed. I wanted a 1911 and just continued to look until I found one for sale that I liked. But, when you find one that you like, I would not hesitate very long. Good luck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
From my perspective (small "dining room table" gun dealer), the big issue is with the manufacturers. I've got one customer who has wanted a Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator since last December. I keep calling of my distributors (RSR, Davidsons, etc) and pestering them, as well as the dealer POC at Springfield, and they have yet to have one roll off the line since last October. I don't know what they are making, but it doesn't seem to be 1911s..... Colt 1911s are also showing zero balance at all the distributors I've checked. There does seem to be a plethora of Kimbers, for whatever reason, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Didn't Ruger shut down sales for several months because of high demand they couldn't meet? I think I read they started selling to distributors again very recently. I guess they rebuilt their inventory. I wonder if they raised prices?

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I don't wait if I see something I have on my 'list'. I grab it. If it ain't exacty the thing I'm after, I can always trade later. The last one was a 1911A1 for my son that needed some tuning up. Decent discount price. Needed a sear, disonnector, spring and needed the hammer re-cut. Basically a de-Bubbafied job. Cheap enough. No hesitation. I shall continue in this manner until I have them all, or they are no longer obtainable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts