Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Florida ,as I understand it --your CCW allows you to purchase a shotgun --provided that the brrl. is 18 " or more -----if you were to buy a "legal" length brrl....Then can you legally then shorten the brrl.??
If the answer is no -then to buy a short brrrl -or make one-- you must go through the whole Class III license deal and pay $200---- Is this right ??? ???????? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm not a FL resident but my understanding from the kin there is that your CCW has nothing to do with buying any gun. Per FEDERAL law the shotgun must have a barrel of 18" or is subject to the NFA rules. Guns mfg with the short barrels get a $5 additional fee, guns converted are the $200 fee/tax. Plus you must have background checks, etc.

Now, whether the CCW allows you to carry a short shotgun is a different question. In VA the CHP is just that, for handguns only. It doesn't cover shotguns, rifles, knives, saps, etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Same for Ohio CCW...only pertains to carrying a handgun. Has nothing to do with purchasing any firearm; and does not allow the carrying of any other concealed weapon including knives, brass knuckles, ice picks, hand grenades, etc... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you legally shorten a shotgun barrel to less than 18",...or the total length of the firearm with an 18" barrel is less than 26" overall (this length from memory so don't take it as "gospel") you need a special tax stamp. If you manufacture the gun yourself using a Form 1 it will cost you $200 for a "tax stamp"...if the gun is a factory made short-barreled shotgun (known as an "any other weapon/destructive device") it will cost you only $5 for a tax stamp. Best to see a class III dealer of NFA weapons in your state for latest regulations.

I take it you live in a tough neiborhood if you need to carry a "shorty"...also think of what the consequences/court battle you will face when some lawyer gets you for shooting his "client" with one...

They are fun to play with, but impractical for self defense in todays PC world...my $.02

·
Registered
775 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
... If you legally shorten a shotgun barrel to less than 18",...or the total length of the firearm with an 18" barrel is less than 26" overall (this length from memory so don't take it as "gospel") you need a special tax stamp. If you manufacture the gun yourself using a Form 1 it will cost you $200 for a "tax stamp"...if the gun is a factory made short-barreled shotgun (known as an "any other weapon/destructive device") it will cost you only $5 for a tax stamp. Best to see a class III dealer of NFA weapons in your state for latest regulations. ...

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, no. The Federal tax stamp for a short-barreled shotgun is $200. If you purchase the weapon, and it was made with a barrel less than 18", and it has a pistol grip, it is then call an AOW (any other weapon). The tax stamp for an AOW is $5.00. But, you cannot put a full stock on an AOW!

Federal laws make a lot of sense???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts