Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I have this gun on hold for me until tomorrow, and would like to know if I should snatch it up and if it is a good deal. I talked to the gentleman and it is legit. He lives very close to me and we can do a face to face tomorrow. This is what the ad has it listed as:

Colt .32 cal. Pocket Positive Police CTG
Blue,3 3/8" barrel, 6 shot
$350.00

Based on the serial 95***, it is a 1920 Pocket Positive. Is that correct? Is the butt on this considered "round"? He said everything is nice and tight. If it is indeed a Pocket Positive, I believe I am going to get it. Let me know what ya'll think.

Thanks.

Revolver Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
You can buy the ammunition, but you have to look for it.

On the other hand, you're not going to be shooting PPC matches with it, so you'd have plenty of time.

As to paying the $350 - 'I' wouldn't, because the freckling would bother me.

There'd be no need to 'snatch' - because at that price, it'll be around a bit.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do believe the cartridge is not that commonly found. However, I would not be shooting it often. IDK, I am still on the fence and would like some other views to help me decide. It is a 94 year old gun and priced about $100 under blue book value. Can you go wrong with it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just bought a box of 50 PPU LRN 98 Gr.32 S&W Long there Made in Serbia for $17.99 at a local Cabels's.
They had about 16 boxes of it but noooo .22's.
I might pick up another box for my 1925 PP .32.
The S&W .32 short now those seem to be the obscure .32 ammo.

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's my understanding that .32LC and .32S&W long are not interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
It depends on why you want to buy it. As a shooter? Then no, because of the ammo. As an investment? That's iffy, the price is good, but not a steal. On the other hand, as a collector, I would pay $350 for that gun if the gun keeps what the pictures promise condition-wise, because that gun with that production year fits with my collecting goals (which is why I've been watching gunbroker sales of these for some months and know they tend to go for about what your guy is asking). Remember that the only thing blue book is really good for is to tell what you won't get for your gun if you sell it and what you shouldn't pay if you buy one! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a similar one. I got the dies and cast bullets, so I shoot it for about the cost of a 22. If the barrel is good this is a great little shooter. I've had no trouble with finding new ammo myself either.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I just bought a box of 50 PPU LRN 98 Gr.32 S&W Long there Made in Serbia for $17.99 at a local Cabels's.
They had about 16 boxes of it but noooo .22's.
I might pick up another box for my 1925 PP .32.
The S&W .32 short now those seem to be the obscure .32 ammo.

View attachment 48838
According to your letter, your gun is chambered for .32/c. Your talking about just getting some .32s&w long for it. I would double check to make sure those will work for that gun. I don't know what exactly .32/c means.

I am going to confirm tomorrow as to whether the one I am pursuing is .32 long colt or if maybe he got it wrong and it is .32 NP. I am pretty sure it is chambered for .32 long colt which they don't produce anymore. If it is .32 NP then maybe I will have to get it.

I am interested in it just for its shear age and wanting to own a gun from that period, but not being able to acquire ammo easily is what's hampering my decision right now. I do reload but I really don't want the trouble of an obsolete caliber. This is a tough one. If it was .38spl I would definitely take it.

I guess I should be asking if I pass this up, would I be likely to encounter another opportunity to acquire a gun like this in the future for the same price?

·
The Consummate Collector
7,950 Posts
If the barrel is marked .32 Police Ctg. (Which I believe yours is) then it takes the .32 S&W long or short and this is easy ammo to find. The early Pocket Positives that were marked .32 Colt Ctg. were chambered for the .32 Colt long and short and this ammo is harder to find. There is no round or square butt on the Pocket Positive. They are all just like yours. These are need little guns that certainly have a place to Colts history of double action revolvers.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the barrel is marked .32 Police Ctg. (Which I believe yours is) then it takes the .32 S&W long or short and this is easy ammo to find. The early Pocket Positives that were marked .32 Colt Ctg. were chambered for the .32 Colt long and short and this ammo is harder to find. There is no round or square butt on the Pocket Positive. They are all just like yours. These are need little guns that certainly have a place to Colts history of double action revolvers.
Thanks for giving me a clear answer on the barrel marking. I was hoping for some for some clear identifying comments like that. I read about the changing from round butt to a squared butt between the 1st series to 2nd series Pocket Positives, that is why asking about that. The gentleman couldn't see well and was using a magnifying glass. It does seem from his description that it would indeed be a .32s&w.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.