Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this at a local gun shop. They want 319.00 plus plus. The finish is amazing on the gun. I would say 98%. Just has the wrong grips. I am a new collector and dont want to pay to much. Also there is a "M" below the SN. Some how I didnt get a pic of the whole gun like an idiot. Sorry. Its a 4".

image hosting

picture hosting

free image hosting

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm Really? I didnt even consider it might not be original.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
i dunno, stampings are pretty sharp.
could that rounding on the arc be part of the factory fit?
everything else looks nice to me.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1938 production? Am i correct on this?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
1938 production? Am i correct on this?
Yes, and it's a Police Positive Special, with the longer cylinder that accepts the .38 Special cartridge, not a Police Positive.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The little T above the serial number also means it was "targeted" by colt rather than just lining up the sights. I bet it might shoot good.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Although not much of the gun is shown, I too would suspect a refinish from the available pictures, although there's always room for wrong. :cool:

·
Registered
174 Posts
So, if it is in fact re finished as some suspect, does that put the $319.00 price tag too high? I think that might seem reasonable in my brain, I would be surprised to see it for $200 I'd guess. I'm not claiming to know, but I rarely see anything Colt in person for less than $399 bucks.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have to agree with the others that the gun is a refinish. The photo of the sideplate clearly show a rough surface under the nickel. This is not characteristic of a original nickel Colt gun. For the price, I would avoid this one.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok lets say it is origional finish. would it be a good investment? How rare are the nickel ones?

·
Registered
419 Posts
if the gun works, and the bore's good, look at it this way. What can you get for 300.00 bucks that shoots? This will always be a Colt. There's only a finite number of NIB Colts. The rest are shooters. Sure beats a Rossi .38 at 399.00 new. Those waiting for that magical collectable NIB 1955 Python offered by the little old lady as payment for cleaning her gutters, had better pack an awfully big lunch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts