Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should I \"reconvert\"/restore an SAA 2nd gen??

Been trying to sell,or"trade in",an SAA 2nd Gen. I bought "3rd hand" about 10 years ago.It began life,as a 2nd gen. 5 1/2" .44 Special. First owner,in Colo.had it customized with a new 4 3/4"bbl.(but with a very slow rate of twist;I forget the maker of the barrel blank)a Williams ramp front sight,with a dovetail,heavier ejector rod screw,S&W target sights and a poor attempt to re case harden the frame. Gun was reblued nicely and a nickle hammer,and stag grips.( grips since sold by me to a friend who "just had to have 'em on his Cowboy Action Clone". The gun is very accurate,once I did some trigger work and found the right loads for it. Anyway,I picked up a .44 Special cylinder for my 3rd Gen New Frontier 4 3/4" 44/40,so I have a convertable and don't really need the 2nd Gen. While dealers have been interested in it;its "neither feast nor foul". The serious collector dealers don't want it 'cause "it aint original",and it's "too high priced" for those who deal in "shooting guns". No, I'm not gonna spend a $1000 or so,to have someone like Turnbull professionally redo it,and it still wouldn't be original for the collectors. I've toyed with buying a new/used Uberti .44 Special,removing the S&W sight,and having the slot milled for it "welded in",then cutting a new sight notch & having frame(only) reblued.Should be able to do this for under $200(includes sale of older bbl. & sights). This would make it look more original Anyway,any ideas?? As one collector/dealer told me,"Bud,the only guy that wouldve appreciated that Colt .44 Special,was Elmer Keith,and he's been gone for 20 years!" Thanks,Bud

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: should I \"reconvert\"/restore an SAA 2nd gen??

Bud I think you summed it up pretty well. Don't put any more money into it.

Hopefully you don't have a lot into it as 10 years ago the prices weren't as high. Take anywhere close to what you have into it and move on.

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 09-04-2004).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks WS-23. I agree,but being mostly "a shooter/reloader",I know the value of an accurate & smooth action gun,which this is,so I gotta find a shooter,but in this day of idiotic lawsuits,judges/trial lawywers only in it for the $$$/power,and moronic,anti gun jurors(just had a horrible thought of OOOPRAAH,who's making "BFD"outta her jury duty,being on a case involving firearms!!),I will not sell to an unknown private party,as this SAA has a very light trigger pull and of course like all "real SAAs",no real "safety features"(other than only carrying 5,with the one under the hammer,empty.Thanks again,Bud

·
Registered
7 Posts

Lonewolf,
If it was me I'd just keep it. Most of the revolvers I own I "don't need" and have little collector value, but I enjoy shooting them. You say the 2nd gen. is very accurate, and it's a .44 special, and an SSA--what's not to like? A lot of us would love to own even a mismatched pair of .44 special Colts.
Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts