Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I sent a revolver out a couple of weeks ago via FedEx. That is what Mr. Kopec required, along with the return label. It’s on it’s way back, Tracking now has it at the next town over and being delivered to me today. I don’t believe this revolver was particularly valuable, which weighed in on the risk assessment a good deal.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
This is just an exercise in "what if". Suppose your SAA, for which you paid $5,000.00, was seriously damaged while in the custody, care and control of John Kopec. Prior to the damage Kopec had found numerous peculiarities with your Colt which, in his opinion, rendered it worth considerably that the $5000.00 you paid. I wonder who pays and how much?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Excellent thinking all the way around. There are a whole lot of “what ifs“ involved, not unlike when I take my truck down the road. We each assess the level of risk we are willing to take. And, as my wife says, “Doesn’t make it a good idea, just ‘cause you’re willing to do it.”

·
Registered
382 Posts
This is just an exercise in "what if". Suppose your SAA, for which you paid $5,000.00, was seriously damaged while in the custody, care and control of John Kopec. Prior to the damage Kopec had found numerous peculiarities with your Colt which, in his opinion, rendered it worth considerably that the $5000.00 you paid. I wonder who pays and how much?
I am going to guess Mr. Kopec has this covered in some fine print that you agree to by the act of sending him the firearm. In the many pistols he looks over I would bet some blame him for faults found during the inspection. He would have to have language in place to cover such things that would hold him not responsible.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You could well be correct. It may be implicit in the transaction. I didn’t see any fine print. May have missed it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
about shipping a few years ago I shipped a colt artillery I had to ship fed X because I was not a FF LI was told I could not ship a hand gun. I know the ATF does not consider it a firearm but from what I could see from postal regs a hand gun is a hand gun

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
about shipping a few years ago I shipped a colt artillery I had to ship fed X because I was not a FF LI was told I could not ship a hand gun. I know the ATF does not consider it a firearm but from what I could see from postal regs a hand gun is a hand gun
I also heard the PO regs changed and definition of a gun is a cartridge capable arm, black powder included. Of course every PO clerk is an expert on the law and PO regs!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got 12 or so US Martial Colts SAA's......all of them have been inspected by Mr. Kopec. I have found his service invaluable when it comes to collecting the US Martial SAA's. Ill post up some pictures and info with my experiences here in the upcoming days..

·
Registered
43 Posts
An update. My revolver returned to me on the 30th of June via FedEx. There was a typo in the letter, so I called John. His son answered, so I told him about the typo. He said a corrected letter would be sent, but that John was unavailable to answer one question I had about the contents of the letter.

He also said my revolver ended up on its way to another customer because of something FedEx had attached to the box. That something covered over part or some of the label. The Kopecs tried to call me several times to get the tracking number for the return label, which I had provided. Apparently they had the incorrect telephone number and could not reach me. Somehow, they got the FedEx truck contacted and the delivery straightened out. That's what I know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Matter of fact........... I just got one back from John today........this is a very nice Artillery that was in the same family for over 100 years. Its a documented 3rd USV Cav issued side arm. Ive got the provenance from the family dating back to when the Grandfather was in the 3rd USV Cav.
Mr. Kopec gave it the gold seal which is rare..... Ive got 2 each gold seal authentications and they are both Artillery's.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Terrific letter and seal. Don’t you just love looking at it and wondering? Beautiful stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Terrific letter and seal. Don’t you just love looking at it and wondering? Beautiful stuff.
Man, Ive got a few others I wonder about that's for sure........A couple with "kill" marks in the grips and another with a documented skirmish in Arizona.....a good possibility those have taken human life..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is a rather beautiful Kopec lettered NY Militia pistol. The patina on this one looks outstanding. Its one of two I have with "kill" marks...While they do get your imagination going they truly could mean anything

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is one of my better Kopec lettered Artillery's. It would seam that "parts" of it have seen action in the Frontier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is the first Cavalry I purchased...turns out it had a rather cool back story. It originally came with a Kopec letter from many years ago and a couple other articles written about it in The Rampant and other magazines. Mr Kopec just wrote another article about it for the Spring issue of the Texas Gun Collectors Association while it was in his possession for an updated letter and inspection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is a good looking Artillery minus the front sight (drives my OCD nuts) ......... I would assume a soldier, trooper or someone filed the front sight blade in a manner to make it a close quarters weapon if he were to swing it at your brain housing group. The action needs a little fine tuning and I need to find someone to perform that work. I got this one rather cheap AND it came with a great condition original unit marked Artillery Lanz, Owens & Co holster

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is a good ole Henry Nettleton that saw hard use on the frontier. We assume the Soldier wore their holster on his right side as the left grip bottom is heavily worn down........some things never change...a G.I. is hell on equipment..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is a good looking Artillery...its only downfall is it was "restored" or refinished at some point in its life. Mr Kopec is quick to point out any alterations, especially those that were performed after military service. To me Mr Kopec's Authentication service is the same thing as having your 1968 Shelby GT500KR inspected and documented. Its a smart way to document your investment grade asset. As I have found out...getting into antique guns can be a slippery slope..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Unbelievable set of colts. I can’t tell you how much I have enjoyed your posts. Do you have a favorite?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts