Colt Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Well said. I hesitated to send mine to Kopec, what I learned about it was nothing short of amazing. Just do it, it's worth every penny.
A friend just told me about this most recent change with John Kopec. Go to the link below, and in particular, notice that his authentication service is "temporarily closed". John is in his 90's now. I know a bit more detail, but would rather not post it.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
if authentication is what you're after there are other people that can give you an honest appraisal, but make sure they're business is exclusively dedicated to the antique single actions and their history. Only a handful are qualified, and be aware that Kopec is not infallible, as several suites have resulted because of errors over the years. Homeowner's insured usually is willing to give you an insurance rider if you are worried about theft.

JP

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ship by FedEx all the time, when going to an FFL dealer. I have an account with FedEx. They do have insurance. It is not low-cost insurance like Registered mail, but it is about $1 per $100 of coverage.

My declared value is Sale Price. But the original point made is that Kopec may no longer return a gun by Registered Mail, fully insured.
Never ship Fed Ex, I shipped a Winchester rifle and supposedly insured it for 2000, they broke the stock in half and after sending different info three different times never received anything. They kept asking for different info, original receipt [ bought it 40 years ago, impossible] Never ship Fed ex.
Regards Bill.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Never ship Fed Ex, I shipped a Winchester rifle and supposedly insured it for 2000, they broke the stock in half and after sending different info three different times never received anything. They kept asking for different info, original receipt [ bought it 40 years ago, impossible] Never ship Fed ex.
Regards Bill.
Never ship an antique firearm by other than insured registered mail. The USPS will handle it far more carefully too.

I also wouldn't give up on FedEx. Write a letter of Corporate Complaint to their head office, with a green return card. Most of their employees don't know their butts from a hole in the ground, and you cannot win an argument with them.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
if authentication is what you're after there are other people that can give you an honest appraisal, but make sure they're business is exclusively dedicated to the antique single actions and their history. Only a handful are qualified, and be aware that Kopec is not infallible, as several suites have resulted because of errors over the years. Homeowner's insured usually is willing to give you an insurance rider if you are worried about theft.

JP
I agree with jplower, that there are others qualified to evaluate a U.S. Colt SAA. If I see a good one at a reasonable price, I will inspect and buy it. Kopec will likely never see it, with his situation the way it is now. I think the main thing that Kopec has over some others is his "library" of known SN's with known connections to a particular regiment. But of course, if it is a SAA from 1874 production, and it was reported in 1886 by such as the 5th Cavalry -- how good is that info? Worse yet are "close" serial numbers to one known to have been in a certain regiment.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts