Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across this at a LGS as it had just come in. Notice on closer look that the frame and cylinder #s match in the 100XXX serial number but the grip is actually from the 229XXX range. Won't be able to do a function check until I go back with some gloves but, off the top, what does everyone think? Price is about $1500. I have to admit this is not at all in my wheelhouse so any words of guidance are appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
IMG_5882.jpeg
IMG_8883.jpeg

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have had folks on this forum say an SAA like this is a parts gun and not worth the asking price. But, since it is a blackpowder frame that may get some excited.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even with the mismatched numbers? What's your opinion on that, if you don't mind me asking.

·
Premium Member
19,255 Posts
In the days of the Old West, cowboys used to want to keep their customized grips from their old gun when they got a new one. In doing that one was left with two non-matching SAA's. In this specific case, I suspect the 'favorite grips' from the 100XXX gun ended up on the newer 229XXX gun, and vice versa.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - that all makes sense. I'll have to go back and give it a good looking over with gloves - what exactly should I most be looking at and testing - and if there's a site or link you all recommend that already has it all listed, my apologies, feel free to just direct me that way. I've been checking out a few already starting to do my homework! Coming from my CZs and Sigs (at least they're hammer-fired) this is a new world. Thanks again.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Bill can best answer your questions. You don't need gloves to look it over. It's an old tool and piece of history. Short of dropping it or cleaning it with a wire wheel, you can't hurt it. If you do get it, send it to Bill to get timed right and fit properly. One of the best books is Kopec's A Study of the SAA Revolver. It costs money and takes time to consume.

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
The metal in those photos looks really good. Not wire brushed in the past or obliterated the patent dates on the side of the frame. Cylinder is in really nice shape and the hammer from the points barely sticking up looks correct.
The grip frame could most likely be made to fit perfectly.
As far as the grip frame being numbered differently: if it would bother you, pass.
That gun was made somewhere around 1883...a lot happens in 135 years.
Might be very interesting to find where it was shipped via an Archive Letter.
It’s a neat old gun.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Just came across this at a LGS as it had just come in. Notice on closer look that the frame and cylinder #s match in the 100XXX serial number but the grip is actually from the 229XXX range. Won't be able to do a function check until I go back with some gloves but, off the top, what does everyone think? Price is about $1500. I have to admit this is not at all in my wheelhouse so any words of guidance are appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help or advice. View attachment 705189 View attachment 705190 View attachment 705191 View attachment 705190
I can't see the barrel address or serial numbers on frame, BS, and TG. But based on what I do see - I would buy that gun! As for the grips, well they are broken and repaired anyway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the good info - I'll follow up and do the reading. The gloves are required by the LGS because of COVID-19 if I want to handle it.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I can't tell if the hammer is on the safety notch in the picture but if it isn't check to see if the trigger has been broken because the trigger is farther forward in the trigger guard than it should be,an easy way to check it is to bring the hammer back to full cock,leave it there then move the hammer back & forth w/your thumb keeping your finger off trigger to see how much over travel there is,if there's quite a bit then the trigger has been broken & probably been re-filed,if that's the case then there may be some hammer notch damage also,if the hammer is on safety in the picture then my posting is moot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So does that seem to indicate (from the photos) that the trigger really is too far forward than it should be with hammer in this position?

My LGS won't be open because of vacation until Friday for me to check this out but I certainly will. And I would certainly send it to Bill if he could check it out, if I do get it.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
For the new membership here that might not know. As I recently told a buyer, Jim Martin is the best working SAA smith out there today. The real master of 1st Gen guns. But he can fix any of them, any make. I've used most of the working smiths to come to that conclusion.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
From pic there is not much of an approach on the cylinder bolt guides. Also not much bevel. There should be a partial serial on the cylinder and on the barrel under ejector. Are they there?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, there is partial number on the cylinder matching the frame number but I didn't see and can't see from my photos the other.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
So does that seem to indicate (from the photos) that the trigger really is too far forward than it should be with hammer in this position?

My LGS won't be open because of vacation until Friday for me to check this out but I certainly will. And I would certainly send it to Bill if he could check it out, if I do get it.
While your waiting for Friday to come take a look around on this forum & loo

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I started the previous reply yesterday & my power went off.While your waiting for Friday to come take a look around on this forum & look @ some of the sideview pictures of other Colts & see how close the trigger is to the rear of the trigger guard compared to the picture you posted,there's a difference so it's something that needs checking.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts