Colt Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
For an example look @ Big Jakes posting about My SA guns from 1900 just above this thread & see where the triggers are on his Colts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, thanks, Jim, I've been doing just that and noticing just that. It's much too forward from what i see. I'll have to see what the story is on Friday and follow your instructions. What's the prognosis if there's play in the trigger like you say?

I'm also hoping they'll let me try some snap caps in it as well. Any other things to check that you (and others here suggest) would be great to hear.

·
Registered
118 Posts
When I'm evaluating a possible purchase, I figure that $400 will replace all the internal parts. In other words don't worry about the cost of a trigger. Just buy it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Grabbing some snap caps and trying to get in tomorrow but may be Friday before they reopen from vacation. Anything else anyone wants to tell me to look for in particular? Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
All the advise I can think of is check as others have noted and, if the hammer will stay back on full Cock with your finger off the trigger and light forward pressure on the hammer then buy it.

If it was me, at $1500, I’d buy it either way you just don’t see pre-1900 SA’s that look virtually unmolested like that in the sub-2000 range any more.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
what are the best ways to tell?
Not sure of you question but the only time Colt SAA used a round top hammer was during the Fast Draw craze in the 1960's. The hammer that would have been in your gun originally would have a hammer that sticks up slightly over the frame and has a flat top. The spur checkering would have a border around it which by your photo does not appear to have a border. The other option for the hammer profile I see in the photo would be if some one ground down the top of the hammer to the round look. But, the checkering would be different as I mentioned. Due to the condition of the gun and the asking price the wrong hammer would not bother me; I would most likely buy it if I was in the market for one. As mentioned earlier there may be a problem with with either the trigger sear broken off or the sear notches in the hammer are broken. Either way a repair would be needed at a cost of $75 and up. The gunsmith that last did a hammer for me was a little less than the $75 but he has since passed and I know of no one who does it at that price now. Check with Lever Action Bill on this forum as he does good work and is reasonable with pricing. Figure that cost into your purchase price....and any other needed repairs. Also as mentioned; by the time you get the repair work done to where you have the gun you want it may be less expensive to buy one that needs no repair...and also would be original and not messed with. Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Yes, my mistake when i looked at your photo. That is an older hammer. Don't know what to think about the round top on it. Maybe not a colt hammer?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Finally made it to the LGS. Owner wasn't there if i wanted to deal but ended up being a moot point. Many issues once I got a closer look and attempt to use it. For example, at half-cock hammer would return up to the safety position and cylinder wouldn't spin for loading.. That's kind of important.Cylinder did advance on firing from full-cock but trigger was definitely off...and more.
Walking away from this one and looking for a new entry level to get. Thanks for all the advice, folks.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts