Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We see lots of pics of pretty guns around here. How about some pics of your beaters? I'm talking about refinished buffed out frankenguns. The worse the better. I just sold this one a few weeks ago but here is my example.

1874 converted to .22. Replaced cylinder and barrel, modified hammer, brass backstrap and buffed to hell with some sort of textured finish. The base pin set screw has been enlarged and the TG was buffed so much the screws almost come through the side. If you loaded it up and gave it a little help indexing it would still fire.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
A few years back I bought a .44 Spl. barrel on Ebay for $100, finish worn, otherwise perfect. Then later I bought a '58 SAA locally that was .38 Spl. cylinder with a cut down 5" .357 barrel. I had the cylinder bored to .44 and the barrel swapped. Gun came with fake stags but now wears real ones. The gun was $825 and the conversion was $225 as far as I remember. I think it's gorgeous. The finish wear on the barrel matched perfect with the gun it ended up on.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
20160517_190146.jpg
"Beater" might even be a bit kind for this one. But, as it was my grandfathers for many, many years, it's a favorite. I've never fired it. Tolerances are a bit, shall I say, loose. It rattles like a bunch of rocks in an empty tin can. But a whole lot of fine Colts will go before this one ever will.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
We see lots of pics of pretty guns around here. How about some pics of your beaters? I'm talking about refinished buffed out frankenguns. The worse the better. I just sold this one a few weeks ago but here is my example.

1874 converted to .22. Replaced cylinder and barrel, modified hammer, brass backstrap and buffed to hell with some sort of textured finish. The base pin set screw has been enlarged and the TG was buffed so much the screws almost come through the side. If you loaded it up and gave it a little help indexing it would still fire.

I thought it was a "Spanish Jack" at first, but at least two serial numbers look right!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Lousy Picture, Lousy Gun. This Colt M1878 DA in 98xx serial range was bought as you see it here. The 7-1/2" barrel was bent at the front of threads, leaving the muzzle off to the left about 3/4". By its re-work numbers, this gun had been "used up" one time, and then factory renickeled, and "wore out" again. Most parts were there except for the grips. End Result -- JUNKED OUT FOR PARTS!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Of all my .38s, this one shoots the nicest. You can't tell by lookin' at it.
It is full of pits and has rust and a black streak down the length inside of one side of the barrel. You would think it would chuck the slugs out sideways, but it doesn't. It is accurate, reliable, and easy to shoot.
It is a late war Victory model. It was a bargain. Real cheap by contemporary standards.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I’m getting some real mileage out of this gun pic lately :)

The beater .

Thats a winner winner!

Here is my worst SA. 51xxx, .44-40 w/later bbl, fake 'US' stamp on frame, action a little iffy, a step above pure junk. If it weren't my only 1879 one, I might try and sell cheap. Plus this one was an inherited, otherwise I'd not own it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Does that even move or is it completely locked up?
Not completely locked up but does not have 4 clicks, has about 1/16 click? Serial number readable and dates it to 1880, have always been tempted to letter it but probably would letter to NY! This relic was pictured in the book, "Old West Antiques & Collectibles", 1979.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts