Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up this Japanese Type 14 8mm Nambu the other day. I used to have one like it many years ago and I let it get away in a trade. This one is marked with the year 6.8 which is a fairly early example made in August of 1931. It features a round trigger guard. The pistol has all matching parts except for the magazine. From what I understand, early ones made before 1932 were recalled and retro fitted with a magazine disconnect safety.

The Type 14 was made from 1925-1945 and was pretty much the standard pistol of the Imperial Japanese Army. After the war, the Type 14 Pistol was the inspiration for the Ruger .22 semi-automatic pistol series. Bill Ruger copied the general shape and the rear cocking feature for his famous design.

Somewhere I have a half of a box of 1980's vintage Midway ammo....so I plan to pop a few rounds through it in the next few weeks. I understand spring kits for these pistols are available through Wolff.

I also have a smaller type 94 pistol in the safe which I understand was issued to tank and aircraft crews and might be considered one of the "uglier" guns of WWII.

Any comments or experiences about these pistols or photos of your Nambu's are welcome on this thread.

Nambu Type 14 A.jpg

Nambu Type 14 B.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well I got one with one matching mag and correct holster. Bought some ammo from Mr. Nambu on line and gave it a try. With this ammo the gun doesn't feed reliably. Too bad because it is a fun gun to shoot. I noticed the cartridge length of the ammo I bought is not consistent and perhaps that is causing the feeding problem. Or maybe something with the gun. I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand and fix the problem and not motivated enough to have it looked at by an expert.

006.jpg

·
Registered
744 Posts
Some great looking pieces. I did research on a friend's type 14 and found he has a somewhat rare pistol. His has the large trigger guard added in Sept. 1939 but lacked the magazine retention spring added in mid Dec. of 1939. Only 5,750 of the approximately 282,000 made had that combination of features. He had a matching holster, magazine and even the cleaning rod. The pistol was still partially in cosmoline and rice paper wrapping, maybe the nicest type 14 I've seen, save for the wear from someone manipulating the safety.

He also had a type 97 in the holster with magazines and cleaning rod dated to June 1941. Those pre-war (well pre US entry to the war) type 97's have a very good fit and finish (seriously, none of the rough machining of late war models and well blued). Strangely I felt it was very comfortable in the hand despite its weird looks.

They were by far the best examples I have ever seen in person. The presence of rice paper and grease on the spare mag of the 97 and the barrel of the 14 suggests they were captured off a supply ship or depot rather than combat. Of course the owner swore 'his dad was a navy pilot and he got those guns the hard way'. Which I took to mean won in a card game against some Marines' :p
'

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wonder if those new Wolff springs would help? If they are mainly FTF's...I bet it would help replacing those 85 year old springs.
It has been a couple of years since I played with it. I did replace the springs with new Wolff's but, if I recall correctly, the gun would not cycle. Again, if I recall correctly, I put one old spring back in with one new one and got the same old feed problem. Would be nice to try it with different ammo and mag but Mr. Nambu was the only ammo source I could find. Haven't looked for a spare mag, but maybe this thread will get me motivated enough to do that.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It has been a couple of years since I played with it. I did replace the springs with new Wolff's but, if I recall correctly, the gun would not cycle. Again, if I recall correctly, I put one old spring back in with one new one and got the same old feed problem. Would be nice to try it with different ammo and mag but Mr. Nambu was the only ammo source I could find. Haven't looked for a spare mag, but maybe this thread will get me motivated enough to do that.
I have been looking around for ammo too since I have only a half box of vintage Midway ammo. I saw Mr. Nambu on Gun Broker but also saw ammo available from Buffalo Arms, Old Western Scrounger and Ammo-One.

It would be fun to shoot that Type 14 because the sights are pretty good on them.

BTW. There is quite a story about 8mm Nambu ammo. I tried to shoot my guns many years ago and the only source was Larry Potterfield and Midway. Larry making 8mm Nambu ammo helped launch what is now Midway USA. Here is the amazing story for these interested.

http://media.midwayusa.com/cms/larrys-stories/2014_2/45_the-8mm-nambu-project.pdf

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
What an interesting bunch of pistols. I never cared for the style, but they sure look neat. Thanks for the great photos.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
I have some modern loaded ammo for this thing Chaffee. Send me your address via pm and I will get it out to you Friday or Monday. I have a bunch of WW2 rounds as well but I doubt those would function anymore
I found mine....Nagoya made Sept of 1943. The only CF autoloading pistol I own. The 2 shells came with it (the only shells I have) made from 9mm Luger. Until I come up with more ammo, I won't shoot it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts