Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I starting thinking earlier tonight (usually a dangerous thing! ;) ).

I have posted pics of dozens of my PD guns here. I thought "How about a thread to see what everyone else has?"

Sooooo...... What do y'all have??

Charles

·
Registered
13 Posts
coltpolpos002.jpg cu31924030327989_0088.jpg hello;i have a 32 colt with a colt letter stateing it was for capt.mike zimmerman of nypd of 1907-also have his hat-holster-badge-1925 police hatpin-grips from sing-sing-and a derby and gun taken while performing his job-i might be able to send pics if anyone is interested-you can google him and seems hes a good piece of history!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Another Detroit PD pistol (1926 Colt Army Special)

After more than a few pangs of jealousy and regret, I found me one of these De-troit PD guns to add to my Pre-war Colt Revolver collection.

MVC-010S.JPG MVC-011S.JPG MVC-012S.JPG MVC-013S.JPG MVC-014S.JPG

the story goes that the first owner was a member of the Detroit PD's Pistol Team in the 1950's and 60's and this Colt Army Special was his personal issue / practice weapon.

The finish has a few problems with some heavy wear in areas around the grips and the action is slightly loose, but the trigger is crisp and butter smooth! Not that I'll be shooting it much ......

anyway, let me know what you think ... * also needed to mention that its a 5" barrel ....

edit:
I forgot to mention that it came with a Colt Letter to verify the piece as being shipped to Detroit PD with Walnut stocks.
The stocks are minty because apparently the pistol was used mostly with those old rubbery "10X" target grips.

·
Registered
26 Posts
314.jpg 317.jpg

This is my 1953 vintage Colt Detective Special, #639xxx. I live in south-eastern Michigan and purchased it at a local gunshop. The butt is stamped "10716 CDPD". When I obtained the DS, it was wearing loose, badly shrunk and warped, medallioned plastic stocks. I obtained a pair of old plastic (Colt?) stocks from Numrich for correctness. For use, I have put on a pair of wood "Aircrewman" style stocks that I bought on ebay. Although not correct, they have a nice feel, fit fairly well, and I like the look.
I have not yet been able to identify the Police Department where my DS served. My initial suspicion was City of Dearborn P.D., (a Detroit neighbor). However, a Police trade-in could be from numerous possibilities. Coeur D'Alene, Idaho, has been suggested. City of Duluth, Georgia, looks like a candidate. I am considering going through the process of getting a Colt Factory Letter to try to solve my little mystery. It would be enlightening to know where it was shipped to from Colt's. If I get a "Colt Letter", I will share it on this most interesting and enjoyable Forum.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I have one, a circa 1966 Official Police 4" that is marked on the butt PHPD 3 which is Port Huron (MI) Police Department, the town I live in right now. I didn't know that when I bought it; because of the wrong stocks on it (must have been a personal choice). I know many of the officers with the PHPD including the "Supply" Sargent; there aren't any firearm related property records that go back to when this gun was carried. I also came with a Jay Pee holster.

·
Registered
37 Posts
View attachment 13595 View attachment 13594

This is my 1953 vintage Colt Detective Special, #639xxx. I live in south-eastern Michigan and purchased it at a local gunshop. The butt is stamped "10716 CDPD". When I obtained the DS, it was wearing loose, badly shrunk and warped, medallioned plastic stocks. I obtained a pair of old plastic (Colt?) stocks from Numrich for correctness. For use, I have put on a pair of wood "Aircrewman" style stocks that I bought on ebay. Although not correct, they have a nice feel, fit fairly well, and I like the look.
I have not yet been able to identify the Police Department where my DS served. My initial suspicion was City of Dearborn P.D., (a Detroit neighbor). However, a Police trade-in could be from numerous possibilities. Coeur D'Alene, Idaho, has been suggested. City of Duluth, Georgia, looks like a candidate. I am considering going through the process of getting a Colt Factory Letter to try to solve my little mystery. It would be enlightening to know where it was shipped to from Colt's. If I get a "Colt Letter", I will share it on this most interesting and enjoyable Forum.
It is very possible this is a confiscated gun that was used by the Detroit Police. When M.S.P. confiscated good quality guns they would be offered to PD's for use I believe they still do this today. This looks to have been send to DPD the c stands for confiscated and the other number is the inventory number.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts