Colt Forum banner

141 - 160 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I would like to see some police dept. marked police guns. The older the better but any will do. Not comm. made guns or special run fancy guns. I want to see the work horse the guns that have seen rain, sleet, snow, hail, blizzards and the sun side up. Show me the hard worker not the pampered guns folks.
You like a worn police gun? Here is one that has engraved on the backstrap "Gendarmeria V. C.". A snippet of the factory letter is also shown.

E. Nelson Tibbals was a known Exporter of firearms. I think this one went to Vera Cruz, Mex. The word "Gendarmeria" is Obsolete, and was later replaced with "Policia". I later Proved this to be the case, when I found and bought an old badge from Mexico, D.F. with the word Gendarmeria on it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,051 Posts
We had 2 threads running on this topic now merged into the oldest . There will be some duplicated posts as some were posted in both threads . I'll remove those duplicates as I spot them .

Some posts were removed due to bad or missing photos . If you don't see your's here please re-post .

Thank you .

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Rhode Island State Police, Official Police .38 from 1950.

Newport, RI Police Positve .38NP from 1909.

Not Colt's, but still Police marked.
RI State Police, S&W 66-1 from 1978.

Mass. State Police, S&W 65 from the early 80's.

1937 S&W .45ACP Brazil issue.

Gun on left is a Webley MKIV .38 from 1929. Singapore Police issue with a cross bolt hammer lock safety.

[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I once had a Police Positive 38 x 4", blue that read "Lynn Police Dept" on the backstrap. It Colt Archive lettered to Lynn, Mass. Wish I had pictures, but that one was sold long ago.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Colt 32 PMG 1.JPG Colt 32 PMG 2.JPG

Sorry images are not the highest quality. This revolver is in a collection in the UK. I am not sure of the exact model.
I have another example myself in my collection.

PMG stands for Post Master General and it is belived to be applied in Australia rather than the UK.

.32 calibre.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

·
Registered
151 Posts
This arrived today, 1959 manufacture. Had some Herretts on it. These aren’t correct but wanted to see what they looked like on it.

https://i.imgur.com/6o4pV43.jpg

View attachment 656079

When I took off the other grips found this. Anyone have any idea what it might be?

View attachment 656081

https://i.imgur.com/5APz6Tx.jpg
I'm quoting myself to update that I ordered a letter for this revolver (hope it's not in bad form to not add another photo).

Also this revolver's action was definitely tuned. The V spring has the tale tell pinch in it and the action is lighter than most of my other Colts in DA.

Did Colt ever tune the action for agencies or was that done post-factory?

I will update the forum when the letter gets back.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Did Colt ever tune the action for agencies or was that done post-factory?
While it's certainly possible Colt might have tuned revolvers per contract with a police agency, I would believe any custom actions were more likely done by a police armorer...many agencies...especially larger agencies...had armorers well familiar with the intricacies of both Colt and S&W revolvers. It was simply part of their jobs and they did all maintenance and repairs and even refinishing as needed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
While it's certainly possible Colt might have tuned revolvers per contract with a police agency, I would believe any custom actions were more likely done by a police armorer...many agencies...especially larger agencies...had armorers well familiar with the intricacies of both Colt and S&W revolvers. It was simply part of their jobs and they did all maintenance and repairs and even refinishing as needed.
OK that makes sense. Well if the letter tells me what agency the butt stamp refers to maybe some deductions can be made from there. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got a letter to put this one to rest, well 99% to rest as there is still one mystery.

It's a St Petersberg police gun.

cFmGfnx.jpg
okzu6To.jpg
And the letter.
Vt3YudA.jpg

The letter only states "SPP". Did the letter omit the "I" mistakenly? Did some of the guns have "I" and some not but the factory didn't make a distinction for archival purposes? Something else?

What does the I stand for anyway? Investigator makes sense to me but I don't know if that was ever a role in the police force used as such.

Still, it's a documented nickel police gun. I'll find some used OP stocks for it and it'll be all good.

141 - 160 of 176 Posts