Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I enjoyed the Lawman Star Badges thread created by hwjhfs so much I thought maybe we can have a Texas ranger gun thread.
Here is mine. I have shared it before so I won't rehash all the details again. I am proud to be the caretaker and feel very fortunate to discover it's lost history. It was owned by Roland A Gouger. Roland ordered it and it is factory engraved. It later was nickel plated. The seller had no history on the gun. After wondering about it for a couple of years I decided to play detective and am I glad I did.
Roland Andy Gouger was born November 14, 1874, in Floresville, Wilson County, Texas, to John Albritten Gouger and Martha Butler. Roland stood 5ft. 11in. tall, had brown eyes, black hair and a dark complexion. He was married to Ruby B. Chapman in about 1901. They had three children; Mollie; Roland A. Jr and Louise. Roland was a ranchman in Asherton, La Salle County, Texas. In 1900, he was a druggist, living in Atascosa County, Texas. He was a deputy sheriff there also. He enlisted in the Texas Rangers as a SPECIAL RANGER on July 15, 1918 thru January 15, 1919. He then enlisted in the REGULAR RANGERS on December 12, 1919 thru February 10, 1921, as a private in Co. C. He was then discharged. In September 1918, he was an agent for the Gulf Refining Company, living in Cotulla, in La Salle County. He was also the mayor of Cotulla and had been a game warden. In 1930, he was a produce dealer in Robstown, Nueces County. Roland Andy Gouger died November 26, 1932, in Nueces County and was buried in Cotulla Cemetery, La Salle County, Texas.
I had a USFA engraved to look like my Ranger gun.

Handwriting Font Material property Office supplies Paper

Fixture Wood Door Handle Door handle

Helmet Bicycle helmet Rim Nickel Personal protective equipment

Font Document Rectangle Event Circle

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
I enjoyed the Lawman Star Badges thread created by hwjhfs so much I thought maybe we can have a Texas ranger gun thread.
Here is mine. I have shared it before so I won't rehash all the details again. I am proud to be the caretaker and feel very fortunate to discover it's lost history. It was owned by Roland A Gouger. Roland ordered it and it is factory engraved. It later was nickel plated. The seller had no history on the gun. After wondering about it for a couple of years I decided to play detective and am I glad I did.
Roland Andy Gouger was born November 14, 1874, in Floresville, Wilson County, Texas, to John Albritten Gouger and Martha Butler. Roland stood 5ft. 11in. tall, had brown eyes, black hair and a dark complexion. He was married to Ruby B. Chapman in about 1901. They had three children; Mollie; Roland A. Jr and Louise. Roland was a ranchman in Asherton, La Salle County, Texas. In 1900, he was a druggist, living in Atascosa County, Texas. He was a deputy sheriff there also. He enlisted in the Texas Rangers as a SPECIAL RANGER on July 15, 1918 thru January 15, 1919. He then enlisted in the REGULAR RANGERS on December 12, 1919 thru February 10, 1921, as a private in Co. C. He was then discharged. In September 1918, he was an agent for the Gulf Refining Company, living in Cotulla, in La Salle County. He was also the mayor of Cotulla and had been a game warden. In 1930, he was a produce dealer in Robstown, Nueces County. Roland Andy Gouger died November 26, 1932, in Nueces County and was buried in Cotulla Cemetery, La Salle County, Texas.
I had a USFA engraved to look like my Ranger gun.

View attachment 807143
View attachment 807144
View attachment 807149

View attachment 807150
This is another gun that was included in that "Lawman Star Badges" thread. I have been researching William Harrison Furlong (W.H.F. on grip) for 50 years! It didn't help a darned bit when I finally realized that he officially changed his name from Paul Ritson Furlong in 1906. Was he running from something? He had a problem with wives, for certain. At least three of them.

In latest developments I have concluded that S. V. F. on that grip was not a sister or brother, mother or father. It is S. V. E. with some wear to the incised initials.

Nov 3, 1910 San Antonio Daily Express – S. V. Edwards, Captain of the Border Customs Guards, has married Miss Adelia J. Adams of Frio County. Edwards has been an officer on the border for more than 25 years, and was also Sheriff in Frio County. He owns large ranch interests.

Dec 9, 1910 – The Banner Leader announced that Col. Bill Furlong was selling an interest (not necessarily all interest) in his Webb County ranch to S. V. Edwards. The details were not released. Furlong and Edwards also announced that T. J. Adams will be general manager of the ranch, and by the spring of next year it will be strictly a cattle ranch. Mr. Furlong will in the future devote his time to raising race horses. He is going to purchase some property near San Antonio for some of his horses, and keep the others near Laredo. Article also mentions the “Badger Joke” that was pulled on Bill near the Green Front Saloon at Ballinger 10 years ago.

[Note: In 1900 Samuel V. Edwards, Jr. (born Apr 1, 1859) was a “Stock Raiser” living in Laredo. In 1910 he is an “Inspector U. S. Customs” at Laredo. In 1920 he is a “Ranchman” at Laredo]. Died Oct 5, 1931 at Laredo.

William H. Furlong was granted a Loyalty Ranger position in 1918. This was a volunteer undercover position without pay. In 1910-11 he had served three terms in Webb County as a Deputy Sheriff there. Records also indicate that he had been a Deputy Sheriff in Bexar County.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your right NorwichCadet, he was certainly a go-getter. He was a Lawman, business owner, Mayor, Game warden not to mention a Family man.

I find it interesting that there is a very strong likelihood that the owner of my gun and Victorio1sw's were friends or at least worked together in Texas at the same time. Both men were Customs agents.
Newspaper Font Publication Paper product Paper

Font Newspaper Publication Rectangle Paper

1 - 12 of 12 Posts