Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Well, just so happens I had Barbeque last night, ribs at Corky's here in Memphis. Nice slab of ribs with beans and slaw, chocolate fudge pie topped with vanilla ice cream and striped with chocolate syrup. Wore this rig:

Sorry, but its a Ruger Flat Top Blackhawk in .44 Special, Graveyard Jack Gunleather holster.

Bob Wright

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Okay...I give up! What is a "Barbeque" gun? I've never heard the term before!

Of course I've only been "into" guns in general for some sixty years or so, but I do like to keep on top of things...
;)

From the great photos posted, I'd assume it has something to do with the "elaborate" engraving of firearms, but maybe I'm missing the point? While I admire the skill and artistry involved, I've never bought or owned a gun that was engraved, because I'd be afraid to take it out in the "real" world, lest I scratch it or something! :p

One thing's for sure...these are some mighty fancy firearms!

nowinca

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Basically, think of the BBQ as a social\political event and then getting dressed up for it. Your BBQ gun is what you took to the social. And in some cases, it was a shoot and a show and tell...another way to enjoy and share guns.
Also, in the Southwest and especially Texas BBQ's are social occasions and also frequently used as a way to raise campaign funds for county sheriff's, constables and judges, all elected officials. Hence the name BBQ gun for wearing your favorite gussied up sidearm for evereyone to see and admire. The fancier the firearm and leather the more succesful the wearer is considered, much like an east coast buisness man wearing a Rolex instead of a Timex to a buisness or social ocasion. They are both a symbol of success and prosperity. By the way they need not be a revolver or have the steerhead but pearl , stag or ivory are considered to be required for grips, now all fancy grips are accepted and appreciated.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Basically, think of the BBQ as a social\political event and then getting dressed up for it. Your BBQ gun is what you took to the social. And in some cases, it was a shoot and a show and tell...another way to enjoy and share guns.
Also, in the Southwest and especially Texas BBQ's are social occasions and also frequently used as a way to raise campaign funds for county sheriff's, constables and judges, all elected officials. Hence the name BBQ gun for wearing your favorite gussied up sidearm for evereyone to see and admire. The fancier the firearm and leather the more succesful the wearer is considered, much like an east coast buisness man wearing a Rolex instead of a Timex to a buisness or social ocasion. They are both a symbol of success and prosperity. By the way they need not be a revolver or have the steerhead but pearl , stag or ivory are considered to be required for grips, now all fancy grips are accepted and appreciated.
Oh! Okay...I get it... So it really doesn't have that much to do with the "gun" itself, but more actually as a sort of "status symbol" as it were! Thanks.

I think that term might be more associated with "Texas" however, than guns in general, as barbeques are pretty popular in most of the West/Southwest (where I've lived and worked nearly all my life), the main difference being that in Colorado/Wyoming, or New Mexico/Arizona etc. the "guests" don't usually arrive "armed", (unless there's "bad-guys" have been invited!) Come to think of it though, you DID say that "politicians" were usually among the guests!
:)

nowinca

1 - 20 of 289 Posts