Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Colt is a well kept secret. I recently acquired this scarce NIB Colt Metropolitan MK III. The guns came with a 4” heavy barrel and in .38 Special only. Made from 1969 to 1972, little apparently is known about them. It is known that they were supplied to the NYC Police Department and a forum member showed deliveries of 652. They do not show up often and the majority of them appear to be former police guns. I have seen none listed with the original box, but that is likely because most were police guns and the boxes were disposed of upon receipt. It has been said that the original police gun boxes had a red sleeve and a styrofoam insert. It was also said that the civilian guns had a brown sleeve and a styrofoam insert. With this gun, it is a standard Colt box. My gun was made in 1970. Originally, it sold for $69.50. Currently, “sportingshoppe.com” has a used one (without a box) listed for $2,550. I have been unable to find the production figures for this model, but they must be known.
1AB87DE6-652E-4F3D-B692-A19F2D25C468.jpeg
17B433E0-AB2D-418B-A880-D55E32431B4A.jpeg
DCB8F4DC-8F61-4D49-96A2-9967A769E1A3.jpeg
3C152E98-4758-41C9-8BDD-B7BC64DD5023.jpeg

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
These used to be very difficult to find in anything but well used condition. Now it seems as collectors are aging, retiring and passing on the NIB examples are coming onto the market.

My NIB example...I found this several years ago...

·
Premium Member
5,778 Posts
Mine is identical to the metro with the TS ( target stocks) and TH ( target hammer). Still kicking myself over 20 years ago finding a nickel metropolitan for $300 at a pawnshop. I knew it was rare but that same money often bought a 357 trooper.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
A nickel Metro must be a rare bird. I wonder if it was a special order or part of a contract.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Current searching I can find only one Colt Metropolitan for sale and it is the one referred to in my original post. Again, I believe the information is known as to production numbers, but it is being closely held. Only a hand full of guns show up as having been for sale on the Internet going back decades. My guess is that the production was less than 1,500, with the majority of them going to police departments. I believe one reason for the limited production was due to the fact they cost more than the standard Colt MK III and was limited to .38 Special. For those departments still requiring .38 Special only, Smith and Wesson’s were readily available and cheaper.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
They are showing up more and more and also becoming cheaper. I sold one on Gunbroker last year in 97% condition in box for about $700. I did fine based on what I paid, but less than I expected. Prices on MKIII models have come down overall. Only one still holding strong seems to be the MKIII Officers with only 146 sold in the U.S.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Current searching I can find only one Colt Metropolitan for sale and it is the one referred to in my original post. Again, I believe the information is known as to production numbers, but it is being closely held. Only a hand full of guns show up as having been for sale on the Internet going back decades. My guess is that the production was less than 1,500, with the majority of them going to police departments. I believe one reason for the limited production was due to the fact they cost more than the standard Colt MK III and was limited to .38 Special. For those departments still requiring .38 Special only, Smith and Wesson’s were readily available and cheaper.
The accepted number for Metropolitan production is 3,000 in 1969-72 only.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Colt listed the Metropolitan for some time...I suspect there was only one production run for police contracts and the overrun stayed in inventory until gone.

Reactions: WinstonWolfe

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Mine was purchased from a police department that was disposing of their revolvers. It had spent a lot of its' life in a police holster and not been fired that much. It's as solid as a tank and with it's heavy barrel it will often outshoot far fancier guns. I absolutely love mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts