Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Here are some in more or less chronological order.

An early 1870,s Cavalry rig with reissue post 1863 holster a field made Scout Belt and US 1st Richards Conversion.

A Model 1872 Light Artillery Enlisted Man Belt with a Model 1879 Holster, Pistol ammo pouch and HN Calvary revolver.

A Model 1882 Cavalry Belt (Metcalf Belt) with a 1st version Model 1881 Holster, and a Model 1885 Prairie Belt.

A 4th Cavalry rig with a Unit marked 50 loop Model 1885 Prairie Belt, a 3rd issue Model 1881 Holster and a HN Cavalry revolver.

A Cavalry Officers rig with a Model 1886 Officer Pistol Belt, a Model 1881 Forsyth Holster, McGeever 45-70 Ammo Box and a HN Calvary revolver.

A New York Militia rig with a enlisted man Belt, a 45-70 NY issued ammo box and a NY Militia issued Cavalry Revolver.

A US Volunteer rig with a USV buckled belt, a pistol ammo pouch (converted from a CW cap pouch), a 3rd issue Model 1881 Holster shortened for Artillery revolver use, a 100 loop 30-40 Mills belt and an Artillery revolver.

A Model 1889 Navy Holster, a Model 1889 Navy Pistol Pack with Colt Speed Loaders and a Model 1895 Navy DA revolver.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Outstanding rig displays shown . Does anyone ever display publicly? If so what type venue do you display at? I for one have not although I have thought about it. It is hard to find a venue in my area and am reluctant to let the world where I live know what is in my house!!!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Gentlemen
Absolutely beautiful displays! They are all great so very difficult jus to focus on one. I have only displayed here on the forum. I am too picky to take them out in public. I don't like fingerprints/smudges!
Ron

·
Registered
319 Posts
JG.jpg
If you look carefully at the bedraggled fellow standing on the ground, you'll just see the butt of a S&W Combat Masterpiece .38 Special in my issued shoulder holster under my left armpit. It was the first of three holsters that just rotted off my body over the course of that "tour."

The second and third ones were for a Government Model .45ACP. I did bring the third one home but lost track of it. I probably pitched it because it was useless in civilian life and in poor condition.
The picture is at Cu Chi, 1971.

·
Registered
566 Posts
View attachment 65899
If you look carefully at the bedraggled fellow standing on the ground, you'll just see the butt of a S&W Combat Masterpiece .38 Special in my issued shoulder holster under my left armpit. It was the first of three holsters that just rotted off my body over the course of that "tour." The picture is at Cu Chi, 1971.
Harkrader:

That is one fierce looking M35 Gun Truck. One does not see a lot of USAF Gun Truck images.

Do you happen to recall what type of shoulder holster you were carrying your Model 15 in?

Regards,
Charlie

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
There were two shoulder holsters issued during Vietnam for revolvers - both came through USAF channels and were relatively difficult to get 'through channels' - but you could trade for them...

Both were black in color, one looked a lot like the standard M7 that was built for the .45, and they were built by 'Hunter' and had a DLA number - the second looked like the one seen above, and featured a spring clip - they made 2" concealment holsters from these, and they were unmarked.

When I get back to my HOR, I know I have some leather still in bags that have their nomenclature tags - I'll post it.

As an aside - Navy/Marine revolver holsters had sewn-in elastic loops - USAF holsters had a slide-on leather slide for spares, and it was marked.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts