Colt Forum banner

Silica Gel Packets

955 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  JohnnyP 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone using silica gel packets to keep your Colt(s) dehumidified in the factory box(s)? I just bought a bunch of 10oz and 28oz packets to throw in my ammo cans and my blue Colt cases. Thoughts?

#2 ·
You really don't want the silica packets in valuable paper boxes. There's a fine line between a box that gets over humid, damp and wet, and one that is dried out to the point it flakes apart. I just have all my old boxes in large individual zip lock freezer bags in the climate controlled gun room; no desicants in the boxes.

I use a large perforated steel can of reusuable dessicant in my safe. I think I got it at Gander Mt. It works very well. I have to re-heat it for about 3 hrs. every 8 weeks or so, no big deal. It looks like it would hold a good quart of liquid, but of course, it's not liquid. Some guys like the Golden Rods, some guys just rig a light socket and a 40 or 60 watt tungsten bulb in their safes. My safe wasn't pre drilled for wiring, so I didn't want to drill any holes. I think that really negates any fire proof ratings it might have, but I'm really not sure about that.

I would also say that most collectors do not store their guns in the boxes, if I catch your drift correctly. If I didn't, I apologize! :)

#4 ·
The desiccant packets work great in sealed bags with items like electronics where any moisture trapped in the bag is absorbed by the desiccant rather than condensing on the part should it become cold and the temperature outside the shipping container become warm. Where the air is constantly being changed it does little good as it absorbs moisture until it is saturated and then quits working, and in some cases gives moisture back up.

I am a firm believer in the safe heaters like the Goldenrod.

#5 ·
Me too. I have a 18" Goldenrod in each of my safes and I've never had an issue, ever.

Bud

The desiccant packets work great in sealed bags with items like electronics where any moisture trapped in the bag is absorbed by the desiccant rather than condensing on the part should it become cold and the temperature outside the shipping container become warm. Where the air is constantly being changed it does little good as it absorbs moisture until it is saturated and then quits working, and in some cases gives moisture back up.

I am a firm believer in the safe heaters like the Goldenrod.

#6 ·
Many thanks to you all for the info. I have been looking at firearm safes recently, and plan to purchase one soon. My collection is limited to 2 rifles, 7 pistols (4 Colts, 3 Smiths). I am thinking short term until the safe is delivered and thought the silica packs could be a short term answer. I understand the "Goldenrod" is a popular and effective product for my intentions, and as a result of collective input, is most likely the direction I will take. Again, thanks!

#7 ·
Do not store your guns in their boxes. Wipe the guns down with Eezox and put them away. Unless you store them in a steam room, the Eezox will protect them perfectly for a long time (and the tests show that Eezox would protect them even in that environment), after which another rub down will extend the protection again. A desiccant pack not in an airtight container will absorb moisture until it becomes wet, at which time it will "bleed" water and create a potential disaster.

#9 ·
I believe that is Ballistol. It is 85% mineral oil, a little alcohol, and a few chemicals for breaking down fouling and copper. My main objection is the odor. I have been using M Pro-7 for several years, and like the fact that it has no odor. Most any of the modern lubricants and rust inhibitors will work fine, just whatever you like.

#11 ·
I have less than 20 in boxes. Problem is I dont have a large safe but rather a tallish gun locker and no way to really keep them in bore stores withought just putting them all in a pile ! No real shelving so the boxes help with keeping things neat. Short of a large Shelved safe I dont have much option other than box storage. Eezox and wrap in silicone cloth is about my only choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.