Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 4" nickel Python in very good mechanical condition this past weekend. The lock-up, trigger, and general action are quite smooth. The finish was exceptionally bright, but it had a few very small surface scratches and marks on it that kept it from being near excellent. The gunshow dealer recommended Simichrome polish, indicating that it was non-abrasive and one of the better ones for bringing a nickel or any other finish out and removing minor marks. So, I bought a small $7 tube of the stuff (made in Germany) and took it and my new baby home.

Tonight, I tried out the Simichrome on the Python, and it worked amazingly well. No marks, and only a bare hint of the few surface scratches on very close inspection. I've tried Flitz and Mothers on my stainless guns over the years - with good results, but this new stuff seems to be great on nickel, which is a soft finish and can't stand abrasives, however small the content.

So, I'm wondering: what polishing brands do you forum members find best for your nickel finishes? And for your stainless and bright stainless guns?

It's close to special polishing time again for about half of my fairly large collection of handguns, those that are stainless and nickel, and I'd sure like to hear what you guys use. And for those of you that use or have tried Simichrome, what do you think?

Best regards, Jack M.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
Be careful with Semichrome, it IS an abrasive, although a fine one.

It's more abrasive than Flitz, which is the preferred polish, but it too IS an abrasive, so use all these sparingly on gun finishes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dfariswheel,

Thanks for the input.

What about Mothers? Is that too an abrasive? The S&W Forum guys swear by it, and their recommendation is that you first Flitz it, then use Mothers to finish off the job.

Best regards, Jack M.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I just ordered and received Blue Wonder's "Armadillo".

http://www.bluewonder.us/BlueWonderArmadillo.html

All of my guns are blue, but this stuff works great and I think it is non-abrasive. I would bet you would get excellent results with this on nickel or stainless.

Haven't seen it in any stores. I ordered it direct from their web site.

[This message has been edited by manderson (edited 07-16-2004).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Mothers have a cleaner/polish that is abrasive, but it is more like Flitz (a mild abrasive). Mothers also have a wax that's excellent to apply on after using the polish to preserve/protect the finish.
http://www.mothers.com/products/

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 07-16-2004).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
Sorry, I have no experience with Mother's.

In general ALL polishes are abrasive.
Some are more abrasive, and some are less, but the key ingredient is some type of abrasive.

No matter how fine the abrasive, they all work the same way: by abrading the finish.

For this reason, whatever you use, use no more than absolutely necessary, and no more often than absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There's Flitz in the tube that contains abrasives & not for use on a blued gun. There's also Flitz polish/cleaner in a plastic bottle that doesn't contain abrasives or ammonia. I've used that w/ good results on blued, SS, & nickeled guns. Flitz also make a carnuba gun wax that makes cleaning crud from outside of nickeled guns easier if applied before shooting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts