Colt Forum banner

simmons hardware

3K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  LEO918 
#1 ·
I have a few Colts that letter to Simmons Hardware, St Louis Mo.
The earliest one is 1879
Are there earlier examples?

#16 ·
Incredible photo of St. Louis and the Simmons Hardware gun store! I often lose sight of just how large America was at the time and the rate it was growing. When I read those letter destinations, I alway picture a small mercantile type store somewhere, not the large warehouse type mega sales buildings.

I wonder if the guns were then distributed out to smaller stores from there and were still new, being shipped elsewhere to small merchants for their original sale? Or if all "new" sales were through that location.

Also, I wonder what's in those 5 barrels sitting outside of the gun store? Kaboom!

#19 ·
It seems that half of the Colts that are found in Texas went to Simmons Hdwe or Shapleigh in St. Louis. I'm referring to old ranch or estate guns that were there for at least 100 years.

I have always thought that these St. Louis firms put their goods on river boats and went down the Mississippi River to at least New Orleans. Then, possibly having to change to another type of ship, went west and south along the Louisiana and Texas coast. They probably stocked most of the local hardware stores within decent riding distance from the coast. Eventually the use of railroads allowed for more distant travel to the more remote cities in these states. See attached 1906 Texas Railroad Commission Map.

Both companies had mail order catalogs, but stocking the local stores was even better for sales.

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
Great thread!

My first SAA was a converted .38 .40 4.75 changed to a .38 special 5.5 sometime in the 50's? Originally shipped- Jan 1st 1900 to Simmons Hardware.

Its just a few hundred over the often referenced 192,00 serial # smokeless cut off.

It had gutta percha notched grips on it when I got it, no clue what the notches meant, if anything, put repo first gen grips on the gun later.

I shot it a lot, I was so glad to get it- I went to the range right from the LGS when I picked it up. Getting dark I could see the muzzel flash very fun.!

I mostly retired it from active shooting, the gun must have been made in 1899 and pretty sure to much shooting won't be good for it. Its the most fun gun I ever owned...

#25 · (Edited)
Yes Sir round. The gun was refinished many years ago and then poorly stored and allowed to collect quite a bit of surface rust and some pitting, mostly on the top strap. The photo is after hours of work on my part. The acid etched panel and the original hard rubber eagle grips are long gone as well. The bin number 155 is stamped on all the small parts, barrel, frame and cylinder. Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

#26 ·
Sir, I hope someone can help me. I have a first gen Colt SSA in 44/40 made by Colt in 1899 with original holster and belt with original ammo still in loops. This had been in the family I purchased from for 123 years. Original owner was a railroader and later a gold rush miner in the Yukon Gold Rush in 1906. I have a Colt letter that shows it sold to Simmons and shipped in June of 1899. I suspect the owner purchased it in Montana later in the year likely at Montana Hardware which was two blocks from his roming house back then. Any luck I could find Simmons sale to Montana Hardware or more on this wonderful pistol?
Thanks for any input!
MGySgt Jim Fawcett, USMC (Ret)
fawcettjim@hotmail.com

#27 ·
Sir, I hope someone can help me. I have a first gen Colt SSA in 44/40 made by Colt in 1899 with original holster and belt with original ammo still in loops. This had been in the family I purchased from for 123 years. Original owner was a railroader and later a gold rush miner in the Yukon Gold Rush in 1906. I have a Colt letter that shows it sold to Simmons and shipped in June of 1899. I suspect the owner purchased it in Montana later in the year likely at Montana Hardware which was two blocks from his roming house back then. Any luck I could find Simmons sale to Montana Hardware or more on this wonderful pistol?
Thanks for any input!
MGySgt Jim Fawcett, USMC (Ret)
fawcettjim@hotmail.com

#29 ·
My 1881 SAA shipped to Simmons HW Co. in June 1881.
marvellous picture of this big, big store, TheProfessor. Glad to be able to see where my SAA first landed before going to….? Where ? Maybe south because Victorio1sw is right : Mississippi was practical for shipping to many southern places. Or maybe west to Kansas or Colorado or Wyoming, as Saint Louis was still the gate to the Wild West in 1881...
As usual, only our dreams will be right as they will remain dreams.

#30 · (Edited)
My earliest is a 45 x 7-1/2" Colt M1878 DA #2260, shipped to Simmons Hdwe 5-9-1879.

Also a 38 x 2" Colt M1877 DA #21745, shipped to Simmons Hdwe 12-19-1879.

No picture of #2260, but here are some bad pictures of #21745.

Attachments