Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A very serious and prolific Colt SAA collector, singer Mel Torme is pictured here with a few of his Colts. I read once where he said he made a point of remembering serial numbers and while doing a TV special or something where guns were involved he saw a SAA "prop gun" consecutive to one in his collection. But all parts didn't match the frame. So he went through all the guns they had and saw parts were swapped around during cleaning over the years. So he put them back together correctly and bought the one that matched his. The top link is to a Guns magazine article he wrote. It’s from 1955 and he hints that the SAA is coming back. Top photo is from that article.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
He lost the Sears gun in a divorce. His friends had an identical gun made up for him.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I think one thing that changed is most of the male celebrities at the time had been in the service during WWII and Korea.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Bogart's guns shown were in fairly recent times. You would think that when those guns shown were sold they would have been documented as his guns, Bogart was a major world wide celebrity. His guns certainly would have brought a large premium and would have been sought after collectibles today. I have never heard of any of his guns moving in the collector market. Many of Torme's Colt's are documented, I often see them come up for sale.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts