Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would $1,100 be a fair price for a late 50s 7 1/2 barreled Colt SA in 38spl in excellent shape except for the cylinder and trigger group has been reblued? The rest of the gun is easily 90% or better. No box. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Would $1,100 be a fair price for a late 50s 7 1/2 barreled Colt SA in 38spl in excellent shape except for the cylinder and trigger group has been reblued? The rest of the gun is easily 90% or better. No box. Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume your looking at a Officers Model Match. That's too much money for a partial re-blue and only 90% on the balance of the gun. The biggest concern is "is this gun really a single action"? Double actions can easily be converted to single action. Has the gun lettered? A true single action will have almost no drag line on the cylinder. Due to the reblue, the evidence is gone. I'd be cautious on this gun, it may letter as a double action. BTW: there were 500 guns build in single action. I have two. One is 98% and the other is 94%.

·
Premium Member
9,480 Posts
I assume the poster is inquiring about a Single Action Army, since there was no OMM with a 7.5-inch barrel in that era.

I probably would not buy that gun because of the refinish, but the price is probably market because Cowboy Action Shooters would be interested in it at that price.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The 1950's vintage 2nd generation's were for the most part high quality guns and those manufactured in 38sp were a good deal less common than the 45LC. I agree with the Judge, the reblued components make this a good SASS gun but lessen it's collectability. A SASS shooter who is only happy shooting a Colt would probably find the $1100 price ok.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for any confusion. Yes it is a Single Action Army. The reblued parts were done professionally and it is a good, tight gun otherwise. I do want to shoot it so I think I will buy it based on your input. I personally have not seen too many 38 spl's up for sale in my area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts