Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was hanging around my local gun shop today when a customer walked in and asked to see the stainless steel Single Action Army in the showcase. My ears perked up because I had never heard of a SAA in stainless. Well, the clerk pulled out a nickel SAA, 7 1/2 inch barrel, .45 Colt with black plastic grips. And I said, that's a nickel finish. And the customer said "What about the SS in the serial number?" Huh?
Okay, I looked at the gun and the serial number is odd. It is SA05349SS. And it appears to be hand cut or stamped. And instead of it being straight across the frame just ahead of the trigger guard, the number is stamped in an arc around the bend of the frame in the front. (Sorry could not get a photo.)
The serial number would seem to indicate that the gun was made around 1978. But what is the "SS" suffix? I looked through Don Wilkerson's book on the third gen guns and could not find anything remotely resembling this. The gun has all the correct markings and I am sure that it really is a Colt. Unfortunately, there is no original box for the gun, so I don't have any label information.
I have a feeling I've seen this type of serial number before, but can't remember where or when.
Any suggestions?

- - - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Geez, Buckspen, it's obviously a Nazi SS pistol issued only to high ranking officers. SA-SS, duh! I think Goering had one just like it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
It is a SASS gun probably. Single Action Shooting Society. You could order one with your SASS number a while back.
NOPE, those guns are S/N SASS XXXXX or XXXXX SASS. The letters are are all blocked and appear of the same type of Roll Stamp.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
There is a possibility, I guess, that a customer ordered the revolver with his special serial number and wanted it numbered in an arc like the frame.
The last four digits of a SSN followed by SS?

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I examined the gun again today and got a photo of the serial number. One customer stated that this is a SASS originated gun but, but Kid Sopris' post above would seem to preclude that.
Any ideas?
View attachment 23619

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
That number looks like it is etched and not stamped, wondering if it is the original sn? Maybe gun has been refinished?

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've looked at a lot of Colt nickel revolvers and this one has definitely not been refinished. All the markings are sharp and clear. However, you are right; the serial number does look etched or maybe hand engraved. I'm leaning toward it being ordered with a special serial number through SASS (Single Action Shooting Society), but Kid Sopris' previous post makes that somewhat doubtful. I've never seen another SASS gun in person, so I don't know what their serial numbering looked like.

- - - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oldedawg - The asking price was $2450. No box or papers. Well, there is a box but the serial number doesn't match.

- - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally heard back from the good folks at Colt. Joe Canali says this is a SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) gun. So, nothing to get excited about, I guess.

- - - - Buckspen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts