Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
was given two pairs of Colt Single action grip panels, and my question is on the inside, bottom of one pair is a marking, Colt address, the other does not, but has 3 digits inscribed...on BOTH sets of grips on the flat, on the back side, you can almost see the impression of the guns serial numbers there, on one of the panels from both sets of grips.....
my question is just what time period ( generation) are these off of....thank you

I know the later,post '78 there was an eagle on the lower portion of the grips...........

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
The ones without the Colt address are early 2nd generation, the ones with the Colt address are later 2nd generation.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you very much for the info, I think this will help her out.............

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
dant,

Those grips look legit for late 50's to 1970 when the eagle was introduced on 2nd gen grips. They were probably purchased as parts and not shipped on a gun. Therefore no last three #s of a s/n scratched on back.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering as the "image" of the serial number from the grip frame of the gun is apparent on BOTH sets of grips, just cannot make out clearly ,even with a light and a glass the actual numbers ( digits) themselves and it seems long, and only number, not letters like an "SA" front, back or split around the numbers.........Jim I will send you some more pictures.......

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Dan,

Thx for the photos. Since they have the serial # embossed on the back of the grip, then I stand corrected, they have been on a gun.

The SA is usually included on the grip straps, so most guns will have 7 characters.

Remember the numbers are reversed so you must read them in a mirror. Or put a thin piece of paper over them, then lightly shade the paper with a lead pencil. Put the paper, lead pencil shaded side against the glass of a window in sunlight and read them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts