Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to tighten the barrel on a SAA to move point of aim to the right without messing up the alignment of the ejector tube to the barrel?
Anybody please help.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Welcome to the Forum,John. This always PO.d me when "Big" Mike Venturino would advise this in his articles. Maybe a little bit,less than 1/16th inch to be sure,and you are right; too much turning will cause the ejector rod not to align,and the very easy to cross thread screw will get "screwed up"-or-I have seen ejector rod assemblies come flying off,pressed in stud and all. This is NOT the only pit fall; the shoulder of the barrel may have to be cut back to allow for more turning-not a job for the "home gunsmith". Do not try and bend the front sight,as it will usually snap off,as it is soldered into a slot in the barrel,and this is probably the best way to align it,if you are good with silver solder! If you have a "clone",that is not a collector gun,try filling the rear sight notch in the direction you want the bullets to go. But-make sure you are using the ammo load,and "hold" you will use for ther majority of your shooting-and-go slow-and "test fire". Good Luck! Bud

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick response!!!
I'm only 3 inches to the left with the Colt 45LC and thought that maybe a 2 or 3 thousandths twist might be alright.
I've raised my point of aim by using a little less powder.
I have the same problem with all my SAA's [low and to the left] Colts, Blackhawks and Vaqueros.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Muley,
Great tip! I'll try what you say next time I go shooting and see what happens.
I do have an Uberti SAA in 45LC that shoots high and center contrary to all the others.
All my loads in each caliber SAA are light.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Usually, low and left is an indication of anticipating the recoil and/or putting too much finger on the trigger. I suggest two things: have someone else shoot your pistol and try "ball and dummy" training. Load the revolver with only 2 or 3 cartridges, spin the cylinder and then shoot. If when you "click" and the sights dip low and left, then it is shooter error. If not, it's the sights. It can happen to us all, especially if you don't shoot often or shoot a lot of heavy recoiling ammo.

As to "too much finger", place the first pad of your index finger on the trigger when firing. If you place more, you can be pulling the revolver to the left when you squueeze the trigger.

All of this is assuming you are a right handered shooter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts