Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my 4 3/4s has been my daily since I can remember. Stays in my car when I’m out, and sits on my nightstand at home.

A buddy of mine laughed at me when he saw it, and proceeded to tell me why his daily with 17 rounds is so much better. I mean, I understand the desire to have more shots, but I’ve NEVER felt unprotected.

Am I alone here? I trust my single!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
I carry a single action maybe 10% of the time but carry a revolver 90% of the time . The other 10% is split between a 1970 Series Government model and a .32 Beretta 81BB . I don't feel disadvantaged with any of them . If I were as scared as some seem to be of running my edc dry , I would not leave the house without either an AR or my Rock-Ola with several mags .

My handgun gets me to my truck where I keep a ratty looking 1972 94 Winchester and 2 boxes of 30-30 . If you ever need more than that you done something really stupid .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I don't carry my SAA as much as the OP, but I have carried one and didn't feel outgunned. Frankly, the old primary rule of gun fights hasn't changed; i.e., make your first shot count. Don't try for a "fast draw" (Babbalouie) cuz you'll most likely put in the dirt or over their head. I carry a couple of Glocks riding the train into work, but will carry a 1911, S&W 19-4, .38 snubbie, S&W M&P 2.0 45 ACP, Glock 17 or whatever feels right for where I'm going.

I used to have my M-1 Carbine under my back seat in my truck, but after it survived a truck burglary, I put the tactical 12 gauge back there just because I couldn't afford shelling out $1,500-2,00 to replace it (M-1), whereas the 12 ga was under $300 and will likely do its job pretty well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
I see nothing wrong with having a SAA as your go to gun. 30 years ago I always recommended a revolver to those who asked what gun they should buy for self defense and home protection. Of course I was talking about a S&W 357 and a similar 22LR for practice. SAA are not known to jam like cheap autos.
A 45LC or 44 special is a great defensive cartridge in my opinion. Even loaded with 5 rounds I feel protected. I good hit with it is better than 16 spray & pray misses.
Not to long ago I bought a Colt Sheriffs model in 44 Special & 44-40. Next I would like to pick up a holster for it as I plan on carrying this on occasion. Maybe a cross-draw holster is in order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
Great thread- I would carry a SAA- if I ever get out of Babylon -were its verboten.

Shoot it, carry it, live with it- was Elmer's RX to learn how to carry and use a specific gun.

Experts like Jim Martin can shoot a SAA like a machine gun and hit accurate like a deer rifle.

That a'int me by a far sight but I would not feel like easy pickins if I have a SAR. Might pair one up with a S&W lightweight J frame.

If it went south my choice and my bad idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All these replies are great! I agree with the “it ain’t the firearm it’s the person” mentality. I know a lot of people that swear by their semi auto but couldn’t hit a watermelon if it were attached to the muzzle.

I also love how dependable my SAA is. Spare a high primer, I know it’s going to go boom if I ever were to need it to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,799 Posts
Like everyone else I like these kinds of conversations. But kinda like the never-ending debate, "9mm verses 45", it is pointless.

First rule of a gun fight? Don't get in one.
2nd rule? Be sure to bring a gun if you do.

Will the gun you bring to the fight make a difference? May be. But, just as likely, the gun you choose won't matter, if you aren't capable.

I always liked Clint Smith's saying, "A handgun is only good to fight your way to a rifle".

Which in turn is about as realistic for the vast majority of the civilian population as saying that the SAA is a "good" or a "bad" self-defense gun.

Here is another saying that I found a lot more truthful if you have the skills required. At that point, the the gun won't matter much IMO. "If you can't get it done with a 5 shot j-frame it likely is gonna take a fully kitted SWAT team to sort it out."

Ya'll be careful out there ;)
 
1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Top