Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up two Colt revolvers today and was seeking info on when they may have been made. The first is a single action in 45 LC serial # 1718XX, 5 1/2 inch blue. It is not pretty, looks like it was a working gun with sparse finish of what looks like original blueing but all the numbers match and it has a very nice bore. At 15 yards it shot a nice group first time out. Appears to have a non original trigger and the grips are not worn as much as the rest of the gun but it's tight and solid. Something I have wanted for a long time. The other was a Cobra 2 inch blue serial # 2544XX which appears close to new in 38spl. Any help on approximate dates would be greatly appreciated. What book do you folks consider the best all around for general info on the Colt Revolvers and Autos? Moosedog

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Your SAA dates 1897. The first of the smokeless powder models. Acording to one source your revolver may not have the "VP" proofmark Colt used for smokeless powder specimens.
The Cobra dates to 1968 if the serial number ends with a "LW".

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The proof mark would be on the trigger guard. Colt supposedly advertised it as a smokeless model, but didn't apply the proof mark till some years later.
There are many sources for the SAA, but not as many for modern DA revolvers. Even then the books have high price tags. You could probably research the SAA in libraries or online.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Majic: I checked the trigger guard where there happen to be some scratches also and between myself and my family we are not sure anything looks like a VP there. The longer you look the more you think you see. My teenage daughter thinks it says " RG" I am going to carry it to the Michigan Antique Arms Collector's show in April. Thanks for the help. Since I am on a roll with Colts I am going to pursue my six inch nickel Python I always liked. Moosedog

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Majic: Thank you for the date info. The Cobra does have the LW after the serial number. Where would I look to find the "VF" on the single action? I checked under the grip panels, nothing. Barrel has Colt Hartford address info, 45 Colt on left side. The frame has the Colt emblem and patent dates, all very clear. I bought it off a friend who bought a man's collection locally. Where would I start trying to find any history on this gun or would it even be worth the effort and cost of a factory letter? I appreciate your help and check this Forum daily. Maybe you guys can make a Colt man out of me. Moosedog

1 - 5 of 5 Posts