Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning with a long list of to dos to be "ready" for the big show tomorrow. As always it seems a bit overwhelming sometimes and I keep telling myself next year you need to tone it down Dave. Well I got up and drank some tea and did some clean up around the place and read the forum before I got going on my list. After reading a few threads noteably some about single action armies I decided, the heck with it I'm going to the range. I'll get done what I need to get done but I want to take my SAA to the range and shoot it.

So I went dowstairs loaded up my range bag with my 1962 .357 SAA and hit the road. Traffic was light and when I got to the range I had the pistol range to myself. I had some new reloads I wanted to try and some factory rounds I wanted to compare them to. The temperature was around 32 degrees so a bit nippy but I had the place to myself so I was pretty pumped and had a great time.

It's really not about what gun I took or how well I did or didn't shoot. It was about taking some time away from the hustle and bustle, clear my head of all the thoughts of what I had to do, and enjoy something that I love to do. I just wanted to say thanks to those whose threads reminded me to take a break and go have some fun.

I just might make it a new Christmas Eve tradition. Six Shooters on Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas everyone.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I had the same desire, but the snow here in Ohio kept the range closed for a few days, so my new CO2 Colt SA pellet gun was brought to bear on some pop cans in the shop. It's amazing how shooting that gun has the same effect as the real thing, because the feel is so similar. Although is has an 1860 Army size grip and the hammer sits back, when you're firing it, it's unnoticeable. Since it has a rifled barrel, shooting .177 pellets, the accuracy is darn good if you tweak the sights. Not all pellets are alike and this gun shoots the best with pellets whose skirt and head are the same diameter. Most pellets on the market have a smaller diameter head and do not group well at 50 feet, but Gamo flat heads work the best and gave the highest velocity.

Initially, the guns all seem to shoot low and left about two inches at 20 feet. I had to file the right side of the front sight to a tapered point, and open up the rear sight with a triangular jewelers file on the right side and a bit deeper to bring the point of aim dead on. At 40 feet supported on a chair, all shots went into one inch. Accuracy drops off as the gas cylinder peters out. The satisfying little bark the gun has add to the fun. Pop cans are all day fun, even for the wife, and the added realistic bullet loads complete the fun. You can leave the brass "bullets" in the chambers and load the pellets individually through the loading gate or preload them and carry them in a pocket. Extras are available on Ebay. It's somewhat pricey at 180 bucks from Pyramid Air but after the tweaking, worth every penny. For snow bound shooters it has no equal. I also tried the BB version but the accuracy was bad, four inches at 40 feet. The 5&1/2 inch barrel, however, is perfect for fast draw practice and hitting cans out to 15 feet was no problem.

JP

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Nothing like shooting a SAA for relaxation and fun!

No chasing brass- take your time and enjoy shooting- just like they did in days of yore..

A good idea for a Merry Christmas day as well.!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
We did pretty much the same, only it was me, my wife, my son and my daughter in law! We grabbed up a handful of centerfire pistols and revolvers and some 22s and drove (about 35 miles) to the gun club. We had a couple of pistols in 357 Sig (real blasters!), a little Glock in 380 and a 9mm derringer! Shot at paper targets and some steel plates. Then we moved over to the 22 range and cut loose with a Hi Standard pistol, a Colt Police Positive Target and an Official Police. In short order we burned thru a few boxes of rimfire, killed lots of steel plates and had bunches of fun. The novice in the group was the daughter in law, but after a short lesson in using the sights, she was hitting with the best of us!

Merry Christmas to all!

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I had the same desire, but the snow here in Ohio kept the range closed for a few days, so my new CO2 Colt SA pellet gun was brought to bear on some pop cans in the shop. It's amazing how shooting that gun has the same effect as the real thing, because the feel is so similar. Although is has an 1860 Army size grip and the hammer sits back, when you're firing it, it's unnoticeable. Since it has a rifled barrel, shooting .177 pellets, the accuracy is darn good if you tweak the sights. Not all pellets are alike and this gun shoots the best with pellets whose skirt and head are the same diameter. Most pellets on the market have a smaller diameter head and do not group well at 50 feet, but Gamo flat heads work the best and gave the highest velocity.

Initially, the guns all seem to shoot low and left about two inches at 20 feet. I had to file the right side of the front sight to a tapered point, and open up the rear sight with a triangular jewelers file on the right side and a bit deeper to bring the point of aim dead on. At 40 feet supported on a chair, all shots went into one inch. Accuracy drops off as the gas cylinder peters out. The satisfying little bark the gun has add to the fun. Pop cans are all day fun, even for the wife, and the added realistic bullet loads complete the fun. You can leave the brass "bullets" in the chambers and load the pellets individually through the loading gate or preload them and carry them in a pocket. Extras are available on Ebay. It's somewhat pricey at 180 bucks from Pyramid Air but after the tweaking, worth every penny. For snow bound shooters it has no equal. I also tried the BB version but the accuracy was bad, four inches at 40 feet. The 5&1/2 inch barrel, however, is perfect for fast draw practice and hitting cans out to 15 feet was no problem.

JP
I have one of the CO2 Colt revolvers myself and just love shooting it from my easy chair into a cardboard box with newspaper stuffing and a piece of plywood in the cardboard box. Just tape on a target and shoot away!!!!! It is great shooting as I point shoot and when I "miss" the small box I hear the BB hit the door backstop.

If you don't have one of these, you will have a blast. The best CO2 handgun made. I normally shoot at 20 ft range and the accuracy of mine is good. I am glad "jplower" brought this up. Fun revolver for the family!!!

01-05-15-01-Colt-Single-Action-Army-BB-revolver.jpg

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I know Santa was here last night but

...I was hoping to find a Colt in 32WCF but there were no new "toys" for me to shoot this morning. I did manage to get a quick photo of his sleigh but, alas, the big elf is invisible to photography.

IMG_1682.JPG

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
I did the same thing today,I put a 4 3/4 .44spcl & a 9mm Star in my golf cart & drove out to my range 150 yds from my house [no traffic] & killed a bunch of steel targets,for some reason I get really relaxed after shooting steel.
Here Jim. I still had this picture of your shootin' range at my fingertips from posting it in the Buntline thread.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
My home range is 1600 plus miles to the north and at about 0 degrees so I stepped out the door here in sunny 76 degree Arizona with the full auto MP40 BB gun to chew up the dirt bank. Much fun was had.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts