Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A S&W Forum member mentioned that he owned Skeeter Skelton's Colt 38-40 and I found an article asking him if it was this one and it was. I don't think he had any magazines picturing it. Grips are mesquite. I've always liked the looks of this one. His two pictures used with permission here.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
wow...My Dad would love to have found one of this man's Guns....i remember him often talking about him and meeting his son....you friend has done very well...

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Matt, that is very cool, I read his articles from the early 80's on. Thanks for sharing.

Craig

Reactions: krag96

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I used to have one of his 44 specials. I traded it for a Winchester 1876 and an 1873, both nice guns. The 44 was basically a new in the box 3rd Gen.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Skeet was one of the more entertaining gun writers of all time. At least I remember more of his stories and quotes than any other. Adventures! Every story he wove had a certain adventure in it, from discussing the one gun a man couldn't live without, to busting out a tail light on a suspect car so they could tail him on a major highway at night. Guns, adventure, sprinkle a generous amount of humor in and you had Skeet! He didn't always win, but he always had the humor to laugh about it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The letter of authenticity is not worth anything, as it proves nothing. There are numerous accounts of families of well known individuals buying & selling guns to the many people who come around wanting to know if they still had one of the person's guns that they would be willing to sell. On the S&W Forum there have been threads about Panco Villa's wife, as well as others doing this. In tom Clavin's book "Dodge City", Bat Masterson done this over & over in his later yrs, carving 20 notches in the grips each time.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I'm really curious about the mesquite grips on this gun & who made them,my reason is that a long time ago when Skeeter was still w/us one of his readers wrote in to him in his column & asked if anyone made grips w/mesquite & he answered no,then our forum member the "Jersey Kid" got ahold of him & told him that he was wrong & that I had been making them for several yrs. In his next column he gave me a nice plug.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm really curious about the mesquite grips on this gun & who made them,my reason is that a long time ago when Skeeter was still w/us one of his readers wrote in to him in his column & asked if anyone made grips w/mesquite & he answered no,then our forum member the "Jersey Kid" got ahold of him & told him that he was wrong & that I had been making them for several yrs. In his next column he gave me a nice plug.
He did mention mesquite grips he made himself for his early flat top .44 and also pictured them on a .357. All other references of SAA grips from him that I recall are Herrett's. But did Herrett's make grips with mesquite? He was friends with Herrett so could he have supplied the wood? He also wrote about shooting the base of a mesquite to cut it down. Maybe he acquired his own wood. I wouldn't know mesquite from walnut, but do these grips look obvious mesquite to you, Jim?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
He did mention mesquite grips he made himself for his early flat top .44 and also pictured them on a .357. All other references of SAA grips from him that I recall are Herrett's. But did Herrett's make grips with mesquite? He was friends with Herrett so could he have supplied the wood? He also wrote about shooting the base of a mesquite to cut it down. Maybe he acquired his own wood. I wouldn't know mesquite from walnut, but do these grips look obvious mesquite to you, Jim?
Yes,the grips on the sheriff's mdl u shot when u were here are very close to these.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The letter of authenticity is not worth anything, as it proves nothing. There are numerous accounts of families of well known individuals buying & selling guns to the many people who come around wanting to know if they still had one of the person's guns that they would be willing to sell. On the S&W Forum there have been threads about Panco Villa's wife, as well as others doing this. In tom Clavin's book "Dodge City", Bat Masterson done this over & over in his later yrs, carving 20 notches in the grips each time.
His guns were sold not too long after his passing. These certificates are from the sale of his guns at that time.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I bought a SAA with 5 1/2" barrel in .45 Colt out of his estate. As I recall it was about a 1930 gun.
I made up a display with it on a stand surrounded with some of his books.
It sold to a retired General for a pretty nice profit.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
It was that article by Skeeter that set me on a search for mesquite grips. Could not locate any maker and sort of sat on the idea for awhile. Then about early 2005 I contacted Cary Chapman of CLC grips and asked if he would make me a pair of grips from mesquite wood with a Tru Oil finish. As I recall he was doing only poly impregnated grips at the time. He did locate a source, after a search and one blind alley. These are the first mesquite grips from Cary:

I'm mighty proud of them!

Bob Wright

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
It was that article by Skeeter that set me on a search for mesquite grips. Could not locate any maker and sort of sat on the idea for awhile. Then about early 2005 I contacted Cary Chapman of CLC grips and asked if he would make me a pair of grips from mesquite wood with a Tru Oil finish. As I recall he was doing only poly impregnated grips at the time. He did locate a source, after a search and one blind alley. These are the first mesquite grips from Cary:

I'm mighty proud of them!

Bob Wright
And you should be. Gorgeous!
Bob

·
Registered
44 Posts
About ten years or so ago a friend of mine, in her late 70's, showed me a tricked out Colt Bisley in .45LC. The barrel had been shortened and an adjustable sight installed. It was given to her late husband, a DEA agent and close friend and shooting budy of Skeeter Skelton. Sadly she did not have any documentation to prove such. Without the documentation it was just another modified Colt that few showed any interest in and certainly did not believe it was built and owned by Skeeter Skelton. Eventually I got in contact with his son Bart and got my friend in touch with him. He indeed remembered the DEA agent and his wife, their close friendship with his father, and the gun itself. She traveled out to see him and give him the gun.

I wish I had taken some pictures and documented the piece.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Skeeter was great, best gun writer ever IMO. His stories were not just about guns- but a slice of old and new west Americana .From the early west the 1920's 30's on up- his work is a kind of a history of the guns and lifestyle we all love.Filled with humor and pathos..Bustamonte! I hate you! lol-!Wish Bart or somebody would reprint his books.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
There's lots of mesquite wood on ebay, mostly for knife handles (or smoking meat for b-b-q). If a chunk is big enough for two grip panels, is the wood pictured here correct for gun grips?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=mesquite+wood&rt=nc
Matt;In order to make a pair for a SA the plank has to be a MINIMUM of 6 3/4" long,3 1/2" wide & 5/8" thick,the reason for the 5/8 is the apex of the bottom radius on a pair of colt grips is 1/2" & in order to do that u have to start w/the 5/8 because any less than that you'll end up w/a flat spot @ the apex.When laying out the pattern using a pair of factory grips they're placed bottom to bottom faced in the same direction w/@ least a 3/16th gap or a little more between the patterns to allow for the width of the band saw blade cut.If your going to put a bevel on the bottom like the originals its 17 degrees.The reason for laying the pattern out this way you'll end up w/a nice grain match up on the bottom of the grips.When I used to make the un-finished over sized 1 pce.grips that John Kopec & then Eddie Janis after he bought the business from John sold that the customer could fit, the bottom grain was matched on every pair.I also used to make them for Ray Meibaum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts