Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a firearms hand engraver, and I have a client who discovered a paper-thin crack in the slide that is in the junction between the opening for the barrel and the recess for the guide rod spring stop. The hairline 3/16th" crack is in the spring's recessed area, not beyond that. This is a Colt automatic .25 ACP, not a made-in-Spain "Junior."

I have two other slides, one of which also has the same crack. I am wondering if this is a common occurrence with these slides. Anyone else have a similar crack?

Any Information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis

(Arrow pointed at crack)

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Let me say this before anybody chunks their Colt .25 Auto if they see the crack. First, I've seen it on 3 out of 5 pistols so far. Secondly, if you don't have a crack on yours, it is in my opinion that if you shoot it enough you are likely to eventually develop one. The crack is at a small area of paper-thin metal at the very top of the recoil spring/ guide rod recess tube. If you have one of these, take a look using magnification to really get an idea how thin that metal is at this specific location, it's amazing. I wouldn't be surprised a bit if some were shipped new this way due to machining inaccuracies.

But I've never seen the crack that has advanced into the thicker portion of the tube or slide. Now, cracks should be taken seriously on any firearm. However, it seems to develop in such a small non-critical location that in my opinion apparently doesn't advance, and it appears not to hinder the function of the pistol. Given the 25ACP round is not considered a high pressure or high velocity round I, again in my opinion would not worry too much about it other than keep any eye on it depending on how much you shoot it. But it should be left up to each Colt .25 Automatic owner on how they feel about it or what to do about it if anything. Take care.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts