Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my stuff I have this cased Smith and Wesson .32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903, 4th Change. Made only in 1910. In an oak casing, the revolver has a 3” barrel and Mother of Pearl non-factory grips. Close examination reveals that, though the hammer and trigger maintain 100% case colors, the gun is re-blued. I got the pistol from an older gentleman around 20 years ago. He told me that the Sheriff of the county he lived in gave it to him when he went off to WWII. He said he carried the gun throughout the war. I, unfortunately, did not ask about his war time service. The gun is probably 90% condition, exhibiting wear on the fore and back straps.
68E29EE8-DCF2-4109-8B9E-FE076E621AD9.jpeg
50E12955-BA48-4E8A-9336-F83C7FE68E2A.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
In my stuff I have this cased Smith and Wesson .32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903, 4th Change. Made only in 1910. In an oak casing, the revolver has a 3” barrel .....
Very nice set and interesting back story.

A minor point: The barrel should be 3.25 inches, which was the standard for this model.

Here is my Model 1903 No-change, shipped Sept. 1903. No interesting story.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The OP's gun doesn't show any evidence of a reblue from the pics posted. What are you seeing?

Charlie

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The grip frame has no marks of any kind. Using a magnifying glass it becomes obvious that it was re-finished.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My guess is that the gun was re-finished and the Mother of Pearl grips added and then cased for presentation. I would like to be able to identify the case. Could it be factory?

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
My guess is that the gun was re-finished and the Mother of Pearl grips added and then cased for presentation. I would like to be able to identify the case. Could it be factory?
The MOP grips definitely aren’t factory since those would have medallions. A factory refinish after 1910 would show with at least a 3 or 4 digit date stamp on the grip frame under the panel. So if you think it was done as a set, it was someone else’s work.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the inputs! It was the case that was unclear and I was hoping someone could help with whether it was a factory case or not. These are neat little guns and often overlooked. I think that the .32 long is as good or better than the .32 ACP, making it a light weight pocket defensive gun. The only issue I have with them is compared to contemporary J frames, I have found the double action much stiffer. Probably, a better hammer spring would help.

Reactions: Jackson
1 - 14 of 14 Posts