Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had this for a few years but I shot it tonight for the first time and I love it. It is so much fun to open it up after every shot and plunk in a new .22. It shoots like a laser beam and the trigger is light and crisp. It is perfect for teaching a new shooter and shooting one .22 every 20 seconds makes for a cheap day at the range. It was hilarious shooting this thing next to people with AR's and all other kinds of modern plastic blasting away. This will come with me every time I shoot.

A few terrible pics. Check out the tiny front sight!

Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Wood Grey Flooring Floor Font

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I could sit on a back porch, cool sip nearby and plink away at stuff all day with something like that! Only thing more relaxing would be actually falling asleep.

What a neat old gun.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have had this for a few years but I shot it tonight for the first time and I love it. It is so much fun to open it up after every shot and plunk in a new .22. It shoots like a laser beam and the trigger is light and crisp. It is perfect for teaching a new shooter and shooting one .22 every 20 seconds makes for a cheap day at the range. It was hilarious shooting this thing next to people with AR's and all other kinds of modern plastic shooter blasting away. This will come with me every time I shoot.

A few terrible pics. Check out the tiny front sight!

View attachment 767766
View attachment 767767
I could sit on a back porch, cool sip nearby and plink away at stuff all day with something like that! Only thing more relaxing would be actually falling asleep.

What a neat old gun.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I own several of them, what is called a light trigger pull was known as a hair trigger 60 yrs. ago when I was a pre-teen. Your 1891 is interesting, the flash shields were milled off, but not indented as in the regular S&W 2nd models. A S&W history letter might show it to be a transition pistol between the fist & second models.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I own several of them, what is called a light trigger pull was known as a hair trigger 60 yrs. ago when I was a pre-teen. Your 1891 is interesting, the flash shields were milled off, but not indented as in the regular S&W 2nd models. A S&W history letter might show it to be a transition pistol between the fist & second models.
The barrel has been replaced at some point. It doesn't have a serial number and it has pretty good blue while the frame is almost completely silver. I'd love to know more about the gun but I'm not even sure what the serial number of the frame is. Is the serial number 429 or x429?

Glasses Hood Sunglasses Window Eyewear

The barrel address looks different than the few I have seen but again, I've only seen a few.

Wood Gesture Finger Tints and shades Nail

·
Registered
235 Posts
The barrel has been replaced at some point. It doesn't have a serial number and it has pretty good blue while the frame is almost completely silver. I'd love to know more about the gun but I'm not even sure what the serial number of the frame is. Is the serial number 429 or x429?

View attachment 767941

The barrel address looks different than the few I have seen but again, I've only seen a few.

View attachment 767943

View attachment 767941

View attachment 767943
Not sure about the serial number, almost looks like a hole drilled thru the first number if there was one. On the other hand, as a transitional gun, the serial number would usually be low. The barrel has the actual 2nd model single line barrel address on it. Barrel serial numbers were on the back of the barrel in really small type as shown in my photo, & usually require a good cleaning to even see them. On the photo, the serial number is covered, but is normally on the right side of the latch bar as in the white circle, if there is one.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No serial number anywhere on the barrel and there are holes in the frame for a hand and bolt like a first model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts