Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the Smith gurus give me some ballpark numbers, on items 68 may go see?

Smith 53-2 Jet ,w/ extra cylinder, LNIB.
800 or 2000 $ revolver?

Smith 27-2 , blued, 3.5", good condition, reported original , but used. No B&P.
500 or 1500 $ revolver?. Could rosewood -looking stocks similar to the '73 Texas Ranger Model 19 be appropriate? Should it have Cokes?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
LNIB 53-2 with extra cylinder, closer to $2,000.00 than $800.00.

27-2 3-1/2", clean used, no box, probable wrong grips; $700.00 - $800.00 depending on the region sounds about right to me. I believe the Texas Ranger M-19 had smooth presentation target grips, if the 27-2 has standard hammer and trigger it would have come with the N-frame Magna grips. If it has target hammer and trigger it would most likely have come with checkered G.A. target grips, smooth targets would have been possible but very unlikely, probably an aftermarket purchase. No Cokes on a 27.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Can the Smith gurus give me some ballpark numbers, on items 68 may go see?

Smith 53-2 Jet ,w/ extra cylinder, LNIB.
800 or 2000 $ revolver?
Any M 53 that is LNIB is going to be closer to 2K. The box is very valuable and the extra cylinder more so. I assume the 6 stainless inserts are included. The 6” is probably most available barrel length. 8-3/8” is the one to have if you want to shoot. The 4” is rarer for sure. A nickel will bring more because they did NOT come in that finish but could be redone at the factory. I did a few myself back when. Note on the extra cylinder–- they were not always serialed to the gun,I’ve owned a couple this way,as long as the cylinder fitment was good this was not an issue. Pics for you to look at. In the last picture check the barrel throat to be sure it’s not too BADLY eroded! Firing JET full house loads will ruin a barrel,quickly! Early 4 screw Jets from 1963-64 did not have white end labels on boxes with serial number info,it was written on the bottom of the box in white ink. Later guns have white end labels which are now easily faked but as long as the box is correct I wouldn’t be bothered. S&W got lazy and used a 6” box for the 4” cutout,looks weird that way but is correct. Nice thing about getting older,you knew someday,someone would need all this useless information! Pete

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
The 53 with everything is a 1800-2000 gun imo if 6 inch blue and box numbered with extra cylinder. The extra cylinder versions are seldom seen and bring a good bit more. There is a 6 inch LNIB without the extra cylinder at a lgs for 1350. Surprisingly it’s been there probably 2 months and hasn’t sold. It’s a 1500 gun imo.

The 27-2 3.5 inch is a 800-1000 gun imo as described if 90-95%, if 98%-99% then a 1200 gun. 1300-1500 if mint. The stocks you describe sound like presentation grips and very well could be original. I would not deduct any for the grips. And no the 27-2 does not have cokes. I have a pre-27 with presentation cokes. These are uncommon in this configuration

Attachments

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I have both the 6" 53 and 5" 27-2. I used to own two Texas Rangers. I cant add any better prices than the guys before me. On my 27-2 I bought it new and it didn't have the options. I sent it back to the factory and got the wide target trigger & hammer, the smooth presentation stocks and red post and WO line sights plus the wood box and my name engraved in gold.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 27-2 is 1975, think it has Rosewood Targets, likely original for that year.

The Jet is 1974, blued, looks 6" barreled, has the 6 inserts.Paperwork, and a bag with tools.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
The Jet is 1974, blued, looks 6" barreled, has the 6 inserts.Paperwork, and a bag with tools.
I’d give it a $1500. Check the throat like in my last picture,if it’s really eroded,I’d pass.

Reactions: 68python
1 - 8 of 8 Posts