Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this set up at an estate sale and can't find much information about them on Google. Does anyone know when they were made and what the value is? I don't have a box or keys. Thanks for the help you guys are always the best.

Thanks,
Stewy

Attachments

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
I don't really know anything about them but it looks like they use standard handcuff keys. When working we were issued standard cuffs with chains. Those look more like something jailers would use to restrain prisoners being transported. They don't look to allow much movement...but not easy to put on someone resisting.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
I had to use a pair just like these while waiting on mine to come back from a court appearance many years ago, and I never liked them.

I've heard stories of this type of cuff preventing the wearer from doing certain things, but all they prevent (in my opinion) is some flexibility in the movement of the arms. They keep the wearer's arms in a more rigid fashion. They were also not a very comfortable cuff to wear behind the back, which is exactly where you'd want to put them in most cases.

Perhaps that's why they never became a big favourite for most LE's

Sorry I can't give you an age, but the value, without two keys and the box is probably around $65. to $95.

Bud

I picked this set up at an estate sale and can't find much information about them on Google. Does anyone know when they were made and what the value is? I don't have a box or keys. Thanks for the help you guys are always the best.

Thanks,
Stewy

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your help gentlemen, this forum is hands down the friendliest and most informative on the web.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm not a cuffs or police collectable expert, but your post did inspire me to dig out my S&W handcuffs and look at them, they're a standard pair of M-100s I got back in the mid 90's.

From what I can find online (can't guarantee this is correct), it looks like the M-200s were first introduced in 1990 as S&W's first hinged handcuff. They do appear to be somewhat rare, as by 1992 they had discontinued it and moved on to the M-300 hinged model, which is still in production today. Supposedly it was possible to snap apart the hinge on the original M-200.

No idea on price in the police collectables market, but here's some comparisons. New production S&W hinged cuffs run about $30-40 retail; the only online auction I could find in a quick search was an M-200 which sold on Ebay 2 years ago for $20.

They should take a standard handcuff key, which you can get at police supply stores like Galls.com. Your best reference for further information would probably be something like the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, or if you can find anyone with product catalogs from the early 1990s. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
My old Schmidt M100s were used so hard they've lost part of the nickel plating in spots.
Last few years in uniform I wore three sets of cuffs on the duty belt, including a pair of hingers.
And it was not uncommon to have all three pairs in use at the same time, which is why I did wear three pairs. :)

I need to dig those hinged cuffs out & see which model they were, been so long I've forgotten.
Denis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts