Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know close to nothing about S&W revolvers but I friend of mine is thinking of selling an inherited one and I'd like to know a bit more about it. The serial number is 585xxx on the bottom of the barrel, on the rear face of the cylinder and on the butt. There is a five digit number (I read somewhere that this might be an assembly number), 64xxx, on the crane and the frame adjacent to the crane. The right side of the barrel says "Smith & Wesson" in fairly large letters: the top of the barrel says "Smith & Wesson Springfield Mass USA" on the top line and the second line "patented Feb 6, 06. Sept 14, 09. Dec 29, 14." The right side of the barrel says "38 S & W Special Ctg". The Smith & Wesson trademark is on the lower left of the frame just behind the trigger guard. I cannot find any indication of a model number or any other writing. Grips are checkered wood with an unmarked circular area at the top. If anyone can help me with identifying the model number, frame type (K-frame, J-frame, or whatever), date of manufacture and if the 5 digit number is really an assembly number or a parts mis-match I would greatly appreciate the effort. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
It looks like a Smith & Wesson Military & Police model but I'm not that knowledgeable on them. It's what's now referred to the "K-frame". The designation ".38 S&W Special Ctg." is simply a .38 Special...S&W liked to put their name on the cartridge designation. I'm guessing it might be a pre-war revolver due to it having the thumbnail front sight but I really don't know when S&W changed to a ramped sight.

I'm not up on S&W values or dates of manufacture but it is a fine revolver.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Well if I'm reading the SCSW book right, it's a .38 Military & Police Model of 1905 - 4th Change Serial number range 241704 -1,000,000 manufactured c. 1915 -1942.

K Frame and the 5 digit number on the crane is an assembly number. Butt, Barrel, & Cylinder are serial number. Clear close-up photos of condition posted on the S&W forum should get you a ball park value.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
If the Stocks are original, it is late 'teens or early '20s...

Otherwise, yes, it is an example of the "Square Butt", "Military & Police" Revolver.

Also could be had in .32-20.

Very fine Revolvers!

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
It is a mid-1920s example of a Smith & Wesson Military and Police. I have one similar to it with a serial number of 506XXX.

Also have a 1920s .32-20 variant with serial number of 133XXX.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
The serial puts the gun in the late 1920s, likely 1928/29 or so. It has been correctly identified above. The non-medallion walnut stocks are correct for that decade and may be serialed to the gun on the right panel. I can only see the photos distorted and in poor resolution on my device, but the finish looks original and in good shape. I’m reluctant to speculate on value based on what I can see, but a wild guess would be in the 400s.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
PS: Shipping dates in the late 1920s aren’t perfectly predictable. I can’t quite make it out on your photos, but if your gun still has the mushroom-shaped ejector rod knob like bmcgilvray’s gun, that would move the likely date before about mid-1927, when the style changed.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I have a M&P just like it but from around 1953. I own quite a few revolvers, all colts and smiths. My M&P is the one I keep by my bed. I own many "better", more expensive and larger calibers. Thats the one I tote a lot trail riding etc even though it`s just about my "cheapest" gun.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Now you know- it's the VW Beetle of S&W revolvers so it isn't rare. It IS old, and it looks very nice. I am never a good judge of whether or not one has been refinished but my thoughts on the value would be anywhere from $250-$500 range. Don't shoot +P in it, just for good measure. S&W only rates the "Numbered Models" for plus P. I say this because my uncle had one made in the late 30s, when I acquired it he also gave me a sack full of reloads and two boxes of +P. All those reloads will get used in my .357, if at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts