Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I've got this .357 Colt, see ... it's the one that's the pre-Python? We're getting along real well - nice groups and good lookin' gun ... bigger than I'd like, but it'll do. Anyway, MOST of the time, when you fire, the trigger comes back, the hammer rises and falls and life is good ... Most of the time, I can squeee off a round without the gun shifting or wiggling in my hand hardly at all - like you'd expect from a smooth Python. Then, next time you do it, it fights the squeeze and takes more pressure than before and just wrecks your group. What the &%^%$#!? Is this to be expected? Am I not doing someting one is supposed to do?! (I can't guess what!) Or do I go trade it for a 19!?

·
Registered
18 Posts
This would be one for dfariswheel but he's not here yet so I'll throw my two cents in.

Do some dry-firing and when the trigger gets tight mark the chamber that's up at the time the trigger is tight. Use a grease pencil or something that won't leave a permanent mark.

If it is the same chamber every time the gun may have a bent crane, or a cylinder face that is not true. A bent crane is a comparitively easy fix, a cylinder face that is not true would be more difficult but not a disaster.

If the tightness seems to be random then that would suggest the problem is in the lockwork and you'll need to have a proper Coltsmith look at it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had a 32 revolver that did that once.

It never did it when there was no ammunition in the gun--only when it was loaded.

It turned out that the hand had a sharp corner on it and sometimes was engaging the rim of the cartridge rather than the rachet, which screwed up the timing.

A few strokes of a hone solved the problem.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Another $0.02 worth could be just simple cleaning. A small piece of loose crud maybe tying up the cylinder as it tries to rotate on the crane. Recoil from the shot can bind it into place to slow rotation for following shot, then that shot's recoil could free it. Be like chasing a ghost.

Even the prettiest of girls can get cranky in their old age.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts